It was evening time and I was in a mood for something South Indian. When you think of this region mostly the names which come to mind are idli, dosa, vada, uttapam etc. However I didn’t have coconut or tomato chutney and neither the sambhar at home which are the common accompaniments to all these wonderful dishes. So In absence of these accompaniments I made Fried Idli, these idli’s can be served just by themselves and they tasted delectable with hot coffee on the side. I didn’t realize until I made them how simple having a South Indian snack can be and now I’ve discovered a great and simple snack!! These are made with some oil and spices for a perfect taste and since they are slightly wet they don’t really need anything on the side. If you still wish you can serve these with some tomato ketchup. For sure I’ll be telling about these to my friends around and for you here is the Fried Idli Recipe.
- Idli batter – about 250 ml
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
How to make Fried Idli
Preparation time: 10 min.
Cooking time: 25 min.
- Grease the idli mold and pour spoon full batter in each of them.
- Steam for 10 to 15 min and remove the idli’s.
- Heat oil in a pan, add curry leaves and mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Add salt and black pepper powder and mix all over.
- Add idli’s and saute for about 2 to 3 min from both sides.
- Remove and serve hot with tea or coffee.