Phirni is a delicacy from the state of Punjab and is made with grounded rice and thickened milk. If you happen to travel by road in northern parts of India, there are numerous roadside dhabas that invites all to relish rich and delectable food. Usually their menu has Phirni among the list of desserts and is even one of my favourites. Phirni is a rich sweet dish, served and loved in almost all parts of India.
While I added saffron to the dessert to make Kesar Phirni and decorated it with dry fruits and silver foil, you can innovate with your own ideas of presenting it. It is best to serve Phirni in a small earthen pot for an authentic feel, however, you can use your regular serving bowls too. I’m sure by just reading this, you would feel tempted to have a plate for yourself, so go ahead and make Kesar Phirni quickly with this easy to follow recipe. Make sure you refrigerate it before serving.
Ingredients needed for Kesar Phirni
- Rice – 3 tbsp
- Full cream milk – 1 litre
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar -1/4 cup
- Saffron – A few strands
- Dry fruits for garnishing
How to make Kesar Phirni
- Wash and soak rice in little water for about an hour.
- Drain and grind in a blender to make a coarse paste.
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- When the milk comes to a boil, add the grounded rice and saffron.
- Cook till it has reduces to half.
- Add sugar and cook till phirni has thickened.
- Pour the phirni in earthen bowls or any serving bowl of your choice.
- Garnish with dry fruits.
- Refrigerate for 6-8 hours before serving.