Teachers and the teaching profession contribute more to the future of a nation than all the other professions put together. Teachers handle wet clay in the form of students and shape the future citizens who are morally correct, responsible and good human beings. India honours this creed on September 5 every year, the birth anniversary of the second President of India, Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
A great philosopher, an excellent educationist and a true humanist, Dr. Radhakrishnan has indeed been a beacon, paving and showing the way to the teachers, who can bring about a positive change in a nation with just the right mixture of chalk and challenges.
Teacher’s Day 2019 should be celebrated with immense fervour at the community and school level, with the media outreach that it deserves. Here are a few points that you can consider while celebrating Teacher’s Day:
Teacher day at School Level
- Planning a formal get-together on the eve of Teacher’s Day for teachers while students playing the hosts.
- A special assembly honouring teachers for their contribution can be planned.
- Schools can be decorated with banners displaying message/quotes wishing Happy Teacher’s Day.
- School/student-sponsored refreshments/gifts/souvenirs can be provided to teachers.
- Students can act as pseudo teachers.
- Teachers can be given a day off for relaxation and enjoyment in school while senior students act as pseudo teachers.
- Teachers can attend their classes as students, reminiscing past.
- Essay writing competitions can be organised on topics such as the teacher who made a difference or any similar topic.
- Classrooms can be decorated honouring the class teacher.
- A banquet/memento can be given to teachers on the occasion.
In the Community
- Stores can have a special discount on purchases especially for teachers.
- Different localities can organise small cultural/recreational functions in honour of the teachers residing there, with students and parents participating in it.
- Some community services can be provided to elderly/retired teachers.
- Small event for acknowledging teachers efforts can be organised.
- Public/Private enterprises with electronic boards can run congratulatory messages honouring teachers.
Hand In Hand with the Media
Media can help in publicising Teacher’s Day 2019 in the following ways:
- Media Houses can sponsor ‘Best Teacher Award’.
- A representative from one of the publications can be invited to the school to spend the day there and see up close a day in the life of a teacher. The observations can be later published in the newspaper.
- Short interviews can be conducted with students asking them which teacher has the greatest influence on their life? This can also make a great topic for a call-in radio show on Teacher’s Day.
- Local publications can offer special discounts to students and parents to publish congratulatory messages for the teachers.
Gift Ideas For Teacher Day 2019
No occasion can be complete without a gift. Here are a few ideas of gifts for someone who is your role model, someone you admire:
- Students of each class can contribute and make a small gift hamper for the teachers of the class. The hamper can contain chocolates, tea bags, organic scented oils, etc.
- Personalised coffee mugs/t-shirts can be presented to the teachers with the initial of their names.
- No teacher can do without a tote bag. Buy colourful ones for them.
- The best gift would be a handwritten note expressing your regards for the teacher.
- You can also gift your teacher stationary items like pin holders, gel pens and stick-on pads. They will find this gift a boon.
- If you bake, then bake a cake for the teachers.
- Go green. Present each teacher with a sapling.
Teachers are the backbone of the nation for they are like a candle that consumes itself to light the way for others. Since time immemorial, India has paid due respects to this creed known as ‘Guru’. In fact, in the Rig Veda, a Guru has been equated to the Supreme Being. Teacher’s Day 2019 celebration is just a show of gratitude that we feel towards the pillars of the nation.
Happy Teacher’s Day 2019!
1,036 total views, 10 views today