Eating habits of a particular region is largely dependent on the local agricultural produce, due to the logistical constraints, the regions traditionally set up their own culture, own cuisine etc. Lentils are abundantly grown in Rajasthan specially Marwar region and hence the dishes made out of lentils are very famous in this region. Moong Dal Ka Mogar is one such very popular dish from the Marwar region of Rajasthan. Dry mogar is used as a side dish, it is fairly easy to make one. So if you plan to get a taste of Rajasthan, this is a great option and you can use this Moong Dal Ka Mogar Recipe to make it at home.
Ingredients needed for Moong Dal Ka Mogar
- Moong Dal – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 4 to 5
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Onion – 1/2 cup (cut in small pieces)
- Green chili – 1 (cut in small pieces)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece (grated)
- Tomato – 1/4 cup (cut in small pieces)
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry mango powder – 1/2 tsp
- Zeera powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fresh coriander leaves – 1/4 cup for garnishing
How to make Moong Dal Ka Mogar
- Preparation time: 20 min.
- Cooking time: 20 min.
- Soak the moong dal for 20 min in water.
- Cook it in a pressure cooker with 1/4 cup water for 1 whistle. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, temper mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add onion and saute for 2 min.
- Add ginger and tomato and saute for another min.
- Add moong dal and all dry masala and saute for 2-3 min.
- Garnish with green coriander and green chili.