After having long drawn courses and meals, we all need to have a relaxed day with simple meals. What better than a khichdi that day? Its one of the easiest and quickest preparation and brings out a great taste. Khichdi can be made with many different ingredients like dalia, dhuli moong dal, chilka moong dal among others. Today I made Moong Dal Khichdi using the dhuli moong dal, I love to serve it with some crispy fried onions, desi ghee and plain dahi and there just cannot be a better and simpler meal. The meal cooks within 20 minutes and all my family loves to have it. I’m sure you too need a rest day and are looking for this kind of meal. Well then use this Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe and enjoy the rest of the time with your loved ones.
Ingredients needed for Moong Dal Khichdi (serves 4)
- Dhuli moong dal – 1/2 cup
- Rice – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Desi ghee – 2 tsp
- Black peppercorn – 4 to 5
- Cloves – 3 to 4
- Cinnamon stick -1 inch piece
- Zeera – 1 tsp
- For Fried Onion
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Onion – 1/2 cup (thinly sliced)
How to make Moong Dal Khichdi
Preparation time: 5 min.
Cooking time: 15 min.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and add onions.
- Fry onions till golden brown.
- Drain the oil and keep aside.
- Heat desi ghee in a pressure pan, add black peppercorns, cinnamon stick, cloves and zeera.
- When it starts to crackle, add dal and rice with about 6 cups of water.
- Pressure cook for about 2 whistles or until done.
- Sprinkle fried onions over khichdi and serve hot.