Moong Dal Halwa Recipe
Halwa is one of the oldest sweets made in India. It has its own unique significance when it comes to festivities and is loved by all. Halwa of different varieties can be prepared using different ingredients; for example, aate ka halwa is made from wheat flour, sooji halwa from sooji, etc. Today I made halwa from moong dal, called Moong Dal Halwa. This yellowish-golden halwa is very appealing to the eyes and is very tasty to eat. It can be made with little effort at home and decorated with your choice of dry fruit. You could make it for any of the festivities you like or for a small party as a dessert. Whichever way you would like to serve it, it’s for sure would win many hearts. So use this simple recipe to make Moong Dal Halwa. You could even choose to keep it sealed in refrigerator and heat it in a microwave for an instant treat.
Ingredients needed for Moong Dal Halwa
- Dhuli moong dal – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 cup
- Khoya – 200 gm
- Milk – 3 cups
- Sugar – 1-1/2 cups
- Elaichi powder – 2 tsp
- Saffron – a pinch
- Badam – 10-12 (chopped)
- Kaju – 10-12 (chopped)
How to make Moong Dal Halwa
- Fry the khoya till it turns slightly pink.
- Wash and soak dal in water for 5-6 hours and then ground it coarsely in a blender. Do not add water.
- Take ghee in a heavy-bottom pan and heat.
- Add dal and fry on low flame until golden brown.
- Add milk and cook till all of it is absorbed.
- Add khoya and dry fruits and mix well.
- Add sugar, elaichi powder and saffron.
- Cook on low flame with constant stirring till the halwa turns brown and ghee starts to leave the sides.
- Serve hot.