If you have visited South Indian states of Karnataka or Tamil Nadu and gone to any of the darshini restaurants, Vada is one the top things in the menu and very famous with locals. You would find sometimes Vada being served with idli and sometimes on its own, people have their personal preferences, however in which ever way it is a fairly good choice for breakfast or snack and should be served with a hot sambhar and coconut chutney. You would also find Vadas in some of the street shops and also on a lot of South Indian railway stations. Vada are generally doughnut shaped and made with dal or lentils, deep fried into the shape and can be stored for up to a day. As they can be easily made, why not try your hand at this and have another choice for your daily breakfast? Use this Vada recipe and serve hot today morning with piping hot sambhar.
Ingredients needed for Vada
- Urad dal – 2 cups
- Ginger – 1 inch piece ( chopped )
- Fresh coconut – 1 inch piece ( cut into thin slices )
- Green chili – 1 ( chopped )
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
How to make Vada
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Wash and soak urd dal in water for 1-2 hours.
- Drain the water and grind the dal till smooth.
- Add green chili, coconut, ginger and salt.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Apply little water in your palm and keep a lemon size dough in it.
- Gently make a hole in the center.
- Drop the vada in the oil and deep fry till golden brown from both the sides.
- Serve hot with sambhar.