Sambhar is a spicy Indian lentil soup made with various vegetables and spices. A special powder is made by grinding various spices in a definite proportion and that is the main base for a delicious sambhar. It is more common in the south Indian states and every state has its own version. Some have a spicy sambhar and some have a little sweetness to it. It is an accompaniment with a lot of dishes like idli, vada, dosa and rice. Lot of vegetables like brinjal, ladyfinger, carrot, radish and others are added which makes it a very healthy dish. This is a traditional recipe which I got from one of my south Indian friend and have been making it since a long time. So go ahead and enjoy this hot and spicy sambhar. Here is the recipe.
- Arhar ki dal – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Heeng -1/4 tsp
- Onion – 1 cup (thinly sliced)
- Tomato – 1 cup (chopped)
- Sambhar powder – 2 tbsp
- Carrot – 1 (cut into cubes)
- Radish – (cut into cubes)
- Tamarind paste – 1 tbsp
How to make Sambhar
- Wash and cook arhar ki dal with 3 cups of water, salt and turmeric powder.
- In a heavy-bottom pan, add oil.
- When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and heeng.
- Add curry leaves and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sambhar masala, carrots and radish.
- Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add this masala to the cooked dal.
- Cook again till vegetables are cooked.
- Add tamarind paste.
- Serve hot.