Nehru Zoological Park in Hyderabad
Location: Nehru Zoological Park, Hyderabad, Telangana
Nehru Zoological Park in Hyderabad is popularly known as the Hyderabad Zoo. Named after Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the zoo is an attraction of the city since it was established and opened to public in 1963. Spread over 380 acres of land, the zoo is managed by the Forest Department of the Government of Andhra Pradesh. The Department mainly strives to rehabilitate endangered species, create public awareness to protect wildlife and research for wildlife conservation.
Special safaris including tiger safari, lion safari and bear safari are among the key attractions of this zoological park. Mini train ride and elephant ride are fun for kids. There is also a museum inside the zoo giving details and information about natural history. Miralam tank lake and its embankment attracts migratory birds, thus adding on to the charm of the Hyderabad Zoo. One would find a variety of wildlife – herbivores, carnivores, reptiles, nocturnal and rodents. Animals here are kept in relatively open enclosures unlike other zoos.
- April to June: 8:00 am to 5:30 pm
- July to March: 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
- Closed on Mondays
Entrance: Rs 20 (adults), Rs 10 (children)
Train Ride: Rs 15 (adult), Rs 5 (children)
Safari Ride: Rs 25 (adult), Rs 10 (children)
- Do not litter.
- Do not tease, abuse or feed the animals.
- Photography is chargeable.
- You can also take your vehicle inside the zoo by paying a fixed charge.
- You are allowed to carry eatables and water with you.
- Binoculars, sunglasses and umbrellas would prove to be useful while exploring the zoo.