Did you know India is the largest producer of Mangoes? In fact, about 2/5th of all the world’s mangoes grow in India. People here just love this fruit, as we get so many different varieties. Mangoes are a good source of various nutrients and vitamins, so with the taste they are healthy to eat as well. So today I decided to use mangoes to make a dessert and basundi seemed to be a perfect choice. Basundi is a dessert generally made in the states of Gujarat, Maharashtra and Karnataka. Although it can be made without mangoes as well, the fruit enhances the taste many more times and its so tempting to serve Mango Basundi after any Indian meal. I blended the basundi and mangoes together to fuse in the taste and decorated it with some dry fruit slivers. Everyone at home just loved the taste and I’m sure you would like it too. So here is Mango Basundi Recipe for a great dessert after a hearty meal.
Ingredients (serves 4)
Milk – 1 lt.
Saffron – 1 pinch
Mangoes – 2 cup (chopped and refrigerated)
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Dry fruit slivers for garnishing
How to make Mango Basundi
Preparation time: 5 min.
Cooking time: 1 hour
- Heat milk till it comes to a boil, simmer the heat add saffron and cook till it reduces to about a third (continuously stir the milk to avoid burning).
- Cool the milk and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Add the mangoes and sugar to the basundi preparation and blend together for a min.
- Pour the mixture in serving bowl.
- Garnish with dry fruit slivers.