With the changing weather, many diseases start rearing their ugly heads. Among these, cold and cough is a very common illness. People coughing and sneezing in every nook and corner becomes a common site. Being a contagious disease, it spreads like a fire taking over one person after the other. As it is quite a bothersome condition, people often go for antibiotics to get rid of it as soon as possible. But truly speaking, antibiotics only suppress this condition rather than curing it of its very roots. Sometimes, it comes back with a much bigger force in the form of tuberculosis or influenza. Besides this, antibiotics have some side-effects as well.
Therefore, it is highly advised to go for natural home remedies to get yourself relieved from cold and cough. These home remedies will definitely take some time to cure a cold and cough but they will provide you with a prolonged relief if taken along while adhering to some preventive measures like avoiding spicy food, cold beverages, or curd. Treat your cold and cough with these home remedies which are easily available within a hand’s reach-
1. Ginger: Ginger is a widely known remedy to treat cold and cough naturally.
This root is enriched with twelve antiviral components which help in fighting the viruses causing cold and cough. It is a great remedy to treat all the symptoms of cold like sore throat, coughing or swelling of the mucous membranes. Having drinks made with ginger will not only stop the dripping nose but also help in clearing the respiratory tract of the phlegm.
- Regular Ginger Tea: You can add some crushed ginger to your regular tea to cure cold and cough symptoms.
- Ayurvedic Ginger Tea: You can add some crushed pieces of ginger in a glass of hot water. Let the ginger sit for about 10 minutes. Strain the water and add some honey and lemon to the strained water.
- Ginger Steam: You can either add a drop of ginger oil or add a few ginger slices in a bowl of hot water. Inhale the steam coming out of this solution.
- Honey Ginger: Add finely crushed ginger in a spoonful of honey. Heat the spoon a bit so that the extract of the ginger juice gets mixed with honey.
2. Garlic: Garlic is imbibed with antioxidants which helps in curing a cold and cough. Just take 4-5 cloves of slightly crushed garlic and saute it in a little desi ghee. Having this home remedy will help in alleviating the symptoms of cold and cough. You can also crush the garlic and add a tablespoon of honey to it. Have this two times in a day.
3. Turmeric: Turmeric has a rich source of volatile oils and curcumin in it which helps in giving relief to the people suffering from cold and cough. The antibacterial and antiviral properties in it reduce the symptoms of the cold infection.
- Haldi Doodh: Add a teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of milk. Boil it and drink this milk while it is hot. You can add a tablespoon of honey to sweeten it.
- Turmeric tea: This tea is highly medicinal in nature as it contains turmeric, honey, and lemon. All the three ingredients are beneficial in treating symptoms of cold and cough. Just add a tablespoon of turmeric in 2-3 glasses of boiling water. Strain the solution and add a tablespoon of honey and lemon juice to it. You can also add tulsi to this tea.
4. Salt water gargle: Gargling with lukewarm salt water helps in expelling the phlegm from the respiratory ducts, thereby curing the sore throat problems.
5. Lemon, cinnamon, and honey syrup: This mixture is an effective remedy to treat cold and cough naturally at home. Add some drops of lemon juice and a pinch of cinnamon powder in a spoon of honey. Have this syrup two times in a day to heal the symptoms of cold and cough.
6. Tulsi lemon tea: Tulsi and lemon are both effective in alleviating symptoms of cold and cough. Add 8-10 tulsi leaves in a cup of water and boil it. Strain the solution and mix a tablespoon of lemon juice into it. The medicinal property of Tulsi and the vitamin C in lemon juice will boost your immunity against cold.
7. Flaxseeds or Alsi: Flaxseeds is a wonderful remedy to cure a cold and cough at home. Boil some flaxseeds for about 10-15 minutes until the solution thickens. Strain it and add some drops of honey and lemon juice to it. Drink this solution will reduce the cold symptoms.
8. Ginger and salt: Dice ginger into very small pieces and sprinkle some salt over it. Chew it to get yourself relieved of the sore throat problems.
9. Neem Honey Gargle: Neem, which has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties, is a good remedy to kill the bacterias that have caused the symptoms of cold and cough in the body. Honey is also a recommended product while suffering from cold and cough. Boil 3-4 leaves of neem for 8-10 minutes. Strain this mixture and add some honey to it. Let it cool and then gargle.
10. Peppercorns, cumin, and jaggery drink: Boil some peppercorns, cumin seeds, and jaggery in half a glass of water until a concentrated drink is formed. Cool this mixture and drink it. This drink will help in expelling the phlegm from the respiratory ducts.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar: This vinegar has antibacterial characteristics which are highly beneficial for treating dry cough among children and adults. Add little-crushed ginger and one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water and have it. This kills the pathogens present in the body which causes a cough and cold.
12. Green tea: Green tea has a good store of antioxidants in it which helps in recovering from the symptoms of a cold. Let the green tea bag sit in a glass of hot water for 3-5 minutes. Add one tablespoon of honey and some lemon juice to the green tea. Drink it 2-3 times a day for better results.
13. Baking Soda: Baking soda is an ideal remedy to take when suffering from cold. It helps in restoring the pH levels in your body and kills the viruses causing cold. Mix half a teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of cold water and drink this solution immediately.
- Day 1: Drink it 6 times a day at an interval of 2 hours.
- Day 2: Drink it 4 times a day at an interval of 3 hours.
- Day 3: Drink it 2 times in a day, one in the morning and one in the evening.
- Day 4 onwards: Drink it once in the morning.
14. Cod liver oil: Cod liver oil is basically the fish oil having tremendous amounts of omega-3 fatty acids in it. This oil has anti-inflammatory properties which help in easing the symptoms of cold and opening of the respiratory passages.
15. Chamomile Tea: The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory characteristics of the chamomile tea helps in clearing the lungs and air passageways in the body. Just dip a bag of this tea in a glass of hot water for about 5 minutes and then drink it. You can have this tea twice a day until the cold is gone.
16. Fenugreek seeds or Methi dana: Fenugreek seeds have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory characteristics which help in curing the cold symptoms. Boil one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in a glass of water for about 3-4 minutes. Once the liquid is cooled down, add a tablespoon of honey into it. Drink this liquid two times in a day.
34 Incredible Tea Tree Oil Uses & Benefits
How to Stay Healthy During Monsoons? Do’s and Don’ts
8 Medicinal Plants in India You Can Use to Benefit your Health
Prevalence of Diabetes in India
How to Prevent Hair Loss in 10 Tested Ways?
Jaundice – Causes, Symptoms, and Prevention
Health & Fitness Gadgets
3,913 total views, 19 views today