Few days while I was visiting the Nilgiri range on the borders of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, apart from the natural beauty, serene and calm environment there was one more thing in abundance. The Indian spices and dry fruits, I’m sure you would have seen these shops if you have been in and around the hill stations of Ooty and Coorg. Some of the spices like anasphal (star anise), cinnamon, cloves had a great aroma, while the dry fruits such as kaju (cashew nuts) had bigger grains inviting me to buy. Today I used my purchase to make a rice preparation and the aroma, taste and special memories just stood out. I also added some mint leaves to make this Whole Spice & Pudina Pulao and served it for our dinner. The spices are available throughout India, so why not give it a try and get some taste of the Nilgiri’s. Use this Whole Spice & Pudina Pulao Recipe.
- Basmati rice – 2 cup
- Onion – 1 cup (cut in small pieces)
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cloves – 5 to 6
- Kali mirch – 8 to 10 (crushed)
- Anasphal – 2 to 3
- Green cardamom – 4
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch piece
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Mint leaves – 1 cup (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Desi ghee – 2 tbsp
- Kaju – 6 to 8 (split in halves)
- Dry red chili – 2 to 3
How to make Whole Spice & Pudina Pulao
Preparation time: 10 min.
Cooking time: 25 min.
- Take 1 tsp ghee in a pan and fry kaju with dry red chili till light brown. Keep aside
- Heat ghee in a pressure pan and add all whole spices.
- Saute for few minutes until a nice aroma starts to come.
- Add onion and fry till golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 min.
- Add mint leaves and fry for a min.
- Add rice with 3 & 1/2 cup water and cook till done.
- Garnish with mint leaves and fried kaju and dry red chili.
- Serve with your choice of raita.
Methi Paneer Pulao
Achaari Chana Pulao
Methi Mangodi Pulao
Zarda Pulao Recipe
Yakhni Pulao Recipe
Lemon Rice Recipe
Soup Waley Chawal
Chicken Kabuli Pulao