I always keep some mangodi at home as it comes in handy when I’m short of vegetables and want to make a main course. Mangodi, made from moong dal, can be made at home or purchased from the market. It can be used to make various dishes like mangodi aaloo, etc. Today I mixed it with some fresh methi leaves to make Methi Mangodi Pulao. The pulao turned out just great and all in the family had a nice lunch with raita and achaar on the side. Enjoy it for your next lunch or dinner.
All you need is (serves 4)
- Rice – 2 cup
- Mangodi – 1 cup
- Fresh Methi leaves – 1 cup (chopped)
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 8 to 10
- Tomato – 1 cup (cut in small pieces)
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Green coriander for garnishing
Methi Mangodi Pulao Recipe
Preparation time: 10 min.
Cooking time: 25 min.
- Boil the rice and drain the water. Wash this rice with cold water and keep aside.
- In a pan take 1 tbsp oil and fry the mangodi. Keep aside.
- Heat the rest of oil and add mustard seeds. When they start to crackle, add curry leaves, ginger paste and garlic paste. Saute for 2 min.
- Add tomatoes and saute till the oil starts leaving the sides.
- Add all the dry masala and saute for 2-3 min.
- Add fried mangodi with 2 cup water and cook till it is soft.
- Add methi leaves and saute for 1-2 min.
- Add boiled rice and mix well.
- Garnish with green coriander and serve hot.