The tradition of Ayurveda dates back to Vedic epoch of India and Ayurveda is sometimes considered as the 5th Veda. In Sanskrit terminology, Ayur means life and veda means knowledge. Therefore Ayurveda is the knowledge of life, to live a vigorous and disease-free life. Ayurveda is the holistic treatment of the soul, mind and the body that has been practiced in India by the ancient sages of India since yore. It is practiced in India for more than 5000 years and is regarded as an alternative form of medicine.
Ayurveda is related to the 'Five Great Elements' (Panchmahabhuta) theory. These five elements are earth (prithvi), water (jal), fire (agni or tej), air (vayu) and space or sky (akash). The body is considered as the universe and subdivided according to these five elements and treatment is done accordingly.
Ayurveda is synonymous with Kerala. Whenever we think of Ayurveda, the image of Kerala or God's own country comes to our minds. Tradition claims that there were 18 Ashta Vaidyan families in Kerala who practiced authentic Ayurveda. With fleeting time only 6 families have been able to sustain this tradition. However Kerala provides world -class Ayurveda treatments or chikitsa and till date people flock to Kerala from all over the country as well as the world to rejuvenate themselves, look and feel younger and cure their bodies as well as their souls with the magical treatments of Ayurveda. Kerala has nurtured the age-old tradition of its Ayurveda and has enriched it to a great extent in the present days.
Some important and illustrious ayurvedic treatments are-
Rasayana Treatment- This is a renowned part of Ayurveda which uses the use of metals and spices. Rasaya treatment is the science of rejuvenation and longevity. The rasayana therapy increases the life force (ojas) and helps in the cell and tissues regeneration. You can't stop old age, but you can surely keep old age at bay. Rasayana Ayurveda was the age-old secret of the Indian sages who lived for many ages withot being affected by illness and palsy. Originally Rasayana means increase of the Rasa- the essential fluid that is secreted after digestion. Rasayana assists in maintaining this Rasa. Rasayans is prepared from the herbs of great medicinal value- amalaki, ashwagandha, bhringaraja, chitraka, haritiki, punarnava and triphala. The vitality of the body is increased through Rasayana.
Shodana Chikitsa is done when toxin accumulation in the body increases and the body loses its ability excrete these wastes.
Shodhana Chikitsa is actually a body purification process which exterminates these toxins and reinstates the Tridhoshas- Vatha, Pitha and kapha to a balanced status with the help of Panchakarma, Snehakarma and Swedanakarma methods of treatments.
The 15-day course of treatment includes massage of the body with oil, Snehapanam, Virechanam (medicated aperient), Snehavasti, Nasyam, Pizhichil, Dhara, Njavarakizhi, Tharpanam, Karnapooranam, Sirovasthi, steam bath. Herbal medicines are consumed internally. The poisonous substances are driven out from the body with the help of Panchakarma method of Ayurveda.
Panchakarma Chikitsa - This term means five actions in Sanskrit, Pancha meaning five and Karma meaning action. It is referred to as five stages of healing and is used as a procedure to excrete waste. It involves five purifying procedures that are an essential part of Shodana Chikitsa or treatment. They are-Vaman (Induced Emesis), Virechan (Induced Purgation),Basti (Medicated Enemas),Nasya (Nasal Cleaning ) and Raktamokshan (Blood purification). Basti heals the neurological and obesity problems, Virechan purify the vascular system and skin ailments, Vaman cures asthma and allergy and Nasya checks migrane, cervical spondilosis and facial paralysis.
The treatment of Pancha Karma is preceded by two processes known as Snehan (Oleation) and Swedan (Fomentation) that drive away toxins.
Ayurveda hotels are offered in thousands of hotels, beaches and massage parlours across Kerala.
List of some Ayurveda Centres in Kerala
- Medical College Hospital, Vandanam, Tel: 091 - 477 - 2272367
- Edison's Siddha Vaidyasala, Pazhavangady Church Road ,Nature Cure Centre, Arattuvazhy,Opp.Sakthi Auditorium, Tel: 091 - 477 - 2241468
- Keraleeyam Heritage Home and Ayurvedi Resort, Thathampally, Tel: 091 - 477 - 2241468
- Srnjeevini Ayurveda Health Care Center, Alappuzha
- Nagarjuna Ayurveda Resort,
Thannipuzha Okkal P.O, Kaladi, Tel: 091 - 484 - 2483350, 2463350
Fax: 091 - 0484 - 2395851, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ayurveda Hospital, Kacheripady, Ernakulam
- Kerala Ayurvedic Pharmacy, Alwaye
- Surya Ayurvedic Health Resorts, Chithirapuram, Munnar, Tel: 091 - 486 - 2563204
- Sahyadri Ayurvedic Hospital, Peermed
- Sree Sadan Ayurveda Oushadhasala, Haji Road, Tel: 091 - 497 - 2703496
- Dhanwanthari Ayurvedic Supplies, Stadium Complex, Tel: 091 - 497 - 2700268
- M K Ummerkoya Memorial Hospital Complex, Parassinikadavu Tel: 091 - 497 - 2780250
- CVN Kalari, Nadakkaw, Tel: 091 - 495 - 2768214
- Kappad Ayurvedic Beach Resort, Tel: 091 - 495 - 2683760
- Primebody Health Club, Nadakkaw, Tel: 091 - 495 - 2767454
- Arya Vaidyasala Kottakal, Tel: 091 - 483 - 2742216
- Govt. Ayurveda Hospital, Ponkudi Mana, Manjeri Road
- Surya Ayurvedics Ltd , Mr. K.P Balakrishnan, Surya Ayurvedics Ltd, Kanjany, Thrissur, Tel: 091 - 0487 - 2333635, Fax: 091 - 0487 - 2331347
- Sreedhari Ayurvedic Health Resort *, Mr.Vasudevan Namboothiri, Managing Partner
- Ideal Ayurvedic Centre *, Mr.J.Christudas, Chowara Beach, Balaramapuram Trivandrum - 695 501, Kerala,
Tel/Fax: 091 - 471 - 2482496, 2481632
Email: email@example.com , Website: www.idealayurvedicresort.com
- Somatheeram Ayurvedic Beach Resort , Mr.Baby Mathew, Chowara P.O
South Kovalam, Thiruvananthapuram 695 501, Tel/Fax: 091 - 471 - 2481 600,
- Gopals Ayurvedic Beach Resort, Ms.S. Bindumol, Main Beach Kovalam
Thiruvananthapuram - 695 527, Tel: 091 - 0471 - 2480 833,
- Chempakasseril Ayurveda Hospital, Palai, Kottayam
- Arya Holistic Health Projects, Kottayam
- Sree Sankara Ayurveda Vaidyasala and Gardens, Perunnai, Changanacherry
- Susrutha Ayurvedic Research Centre, Karunagappally, Tel: 091 - 474 - 2621230
- Nedumpunth Pharmacy center, Kollam
- Aquaserence Ayurvedic Resort, Kollam
- Kairali Ayurvedic Health Resort *, Mr.K.V. Ramesh, Olassery Post, Kodumbu
Palakkad - 678 551, Tel: 091 - 492 - 2322553, Fax: 091 - 492 - 2322732
- Santhigiri Health Care Centre *, Mr.Jayakrishnan, Coordinator
Olasseri Post, Palakkad - 678 551, Tel: 091 - 491 - 2523 874
Last Updated on : July 19, 2013