Government of Mizoram
For the politically inclined people, a brief study on the Government of Mizoram will be of much interest. Like every other Indian state, Mizoram Government is also headed by the Chief Minister. He leads council of ministers who are responsible to an elected legislature. The Governor of Mizoram is the head of the state.
In the present government of Mizoram, Shri Vakkom Purushothaman is the Honorable Governor. The honorable Chief Minister of the northeastern state of Mizoram is Shri Pu Lalthanhawla.
The political history of Mizoram dates back to the mid 1950s. It was around this time when the people of Mizoram demanded the status of a state. For over three decades, the revolution continued and at last an agreement was signed between the Union Government and the Mizo National Front in the year 1986. On 20th February in the year 1987, Mizoram finally attained the status of a state.
There are two major political parties of Mizoram that dominate the political scenario of the state. They are the Mizo National Front and the Ephraim Union.
Mizo National Front, which is known as MNF in short, is a regional political party. MNF has come out of the Mizo Famine Front formed by Pu Laldenga. It was formed to protest against the inactivity of the Indian Government towards the famine-affected Mizo areas of Assam in the year 1959. In the same year the Mizo Hills was also destroyed by a devastating famine. The Mizo National Famine Front, originally formed to help the people suffering during the Mautam Famine, was afterwards converted into Mizo National Front on 22nd October in the year 1961. Pu Zoramthanga became the leader of MNF after the death of Laldenga. In the elections of 1998 and 2003, MNF won the state assembly elections, with Pu Zoramthanga as the Chief Minister.
The other main political party in the state of Mizoram is Ephraim Union. It is also a regional political party. It is known as EU and it belongs to the part of Mizoram that considers the Mizos to be the descendants of the tribes of Israel.
Constituencies of Mizoram
Elected candidates from different Constituencies of Mizoram form the legislative assembly of the state. There are two major parties in this northeastern state that contest in these following Mizoram constituencies. Most of the assembly constituencies are reserved for the scheduled caste and tribes.
The constituencies in Mizoram are Chawngte, Tlabung, Tuipang, Saiha, Sangau, Lawngtlai, Buar-pui, Lunglei South,Lunglei North, Khawbung, Champhai, Khawha, Saituai, Tawipui,Vanva, Hnahthia, North Vanlaiphai, Khawzawl, Ngopa, Suangpuilawn, Ratu, Kawnpui, Kolasib, Bilk-hawthlir, Mamit, Phuldungsei, Sateek, Lokichera, Kawrthah, Serchhip,Serchhip, Lungpho, Tlung-vel, Aizawl North-I, Aizawl North II, Aizawl West I, Aizawl West-II, Aizawl West I, Aizawl West-II, Aizawl South - I, Aizawl South - II, Aizawl East-I, Aizawl East-II. There is one Lok Sabha Constituency in the state of Mizoram that is reserved for the Schedule Tribes along with one Rajya Sabha seat.
Governor of Mizoram
Vakkom Purushothaman, a veteran Congress leader is the Governor of Mizoram. He was born on 12 April 1928 at Vakkom near Trivandrum, the capital of Travancore. His father's name is Bhanu Panicker and his mother's name is Bhavani. He is married to Dr. Lilly Purushothaman and they have one daughter and two sons.
- 1946: Worker of the Students' Congress
- 1953: Member of Vakkom Panchayat
- 1970, 1977, 1980 and 1982: Elected to the Kerala Legislative Assembly from Attingal Constituency
- 1971 to 1977: Managed the Department of Agriculture and Labour in the Ministry led by C. Achutha Menon
- 1980 to 1981: Minister for Health and Tourism in the Nayanar Ministry
- 1982- 1984: Speaker of the Kerala Legislative Assembly
- 1984-1991: Member of Parliament in the Lok Sabha
- 1993- 1996: Lieutenant Governor of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- 2001: Elected from Attingal
- 2001- 2004: Speaker of the Kerala Legislative Assembly
- 2004: Minister for Finance and Excise
- 2006: Chief Minister
- 2011: 18th Governor of Mizoram
Legislature of Mizoram
The Legislature of Mizoram is a very important part of the state government of Mizoram. The Legislative Assembly is the seat of Mizoram's Legislature. Different elected candidates from the various constituencies of the state of Mizoram constitute Mizoram's Legislature. Mizoram gained the status of a state on 20th February in the year 1987 and the first State Assembly was founded in month of March the same year. The initial strength of the assembly was 40 members. The Mizoram Legislative Assembly is a member of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association from the year 1987.
The present Speaker of the northeastern state of Mizoram is honorable Hiphei. He presides over the Legislative Assembly of the state. Other than the honorable speaker, there are the members of Legislative Assembly who attend the assembly. Members of the Mizoram Legislative assembly are as follows:
|8||DR H.NGURDINGLIANA||28||JOHN SIAMKHUMA|
|15||K.SANGTHUAMA||35||NIHAR KANTI CHAKMA|
|16||LALRUATKIMA||36||BUDDHA DHAN CHAKMA|
|19||Lt Col. ZOSANGZUALA||39||DR. K. BEICHHUA|
The Members of Legislative Assembly of Mizoram are unanimously chosen by the citizens of the state on the basis of adult franchise. Headed by Pu Lalthanhawla, the honorable Chief Minister of Mizoram, the Legislative Assembly of the state comprises of forty members. The Members of Legislative Assembly are elected after every five years by the people of the state. Conducted under strict supervision of the Chief Election Commission and other important government officials, Mizoram holds free and fair elections for formation of a stable government.
Elected for a period of five years, the Members of Legislative Assembly are commonly referred to as MLA. The MLA's serve the general citizens of their constituency with utmost sincerity and dedication. Under the able guidance of the Members of Legislative Assembly, the state of Mizoram has achieved greater social, economic and political stability.
Chief Minister of Mizoram
The current Mizoram Chief Minister is Mr. Pu Lal Thanhawla. He belongs to the Indian National Congress (INC). Mr. Pu Lal Thanhawla was appointed as Mizoram's Chief Minister on 11th December, 2008 and is still continuing to hold the Chief Ministership.
Pu Lal Thanhawla was born on 19 May 1942 at the Presbyterian Hospital in Durtlang in Aizawl, the capital city of the state of Mizoram. Pu Lal Thanhawla was born to Mr. Hmartawn Phunga Sailo and Mrs. Lalsawmliani Chawngthu Thanhawla.
Pu Lal Thanhawla completed his Bachelor's Degree education in the field of Arts in the year 1964 from the Guwahati University affiliated Ajal College. He was married to Lal Riliani. Mr. Pu Lal Thanhawla and Mrs. Lal Riliani Thanhawla have got three children named Lucy Sailo, Zauva Sailo and Lal Thankhumi Sailo. Because of his keen interest in sports, he represented his high school and college in hockey and football. He even likes to play sports like badminton, volley ball, carrom etc. This made him get associated with and hold important positions in the following sports associations:
- Sports Association of Mizoram: Founder-cum-President
- Football Association of Mizoram: Founder-cum-President
- Hockey Association of Mizoram: Founder-cum-President
- Boxing Association of Mizoram: Founder-cum-Secretary
- Olympic Association of Mizoram: Founder-cum-President
- North East Olympic Commission: Chairman
- Indian Olympic Association: Member of the Executive Council
- Aijal Amateur Athletic Club: Founder-cum-Secretary
Pu Lal Thanhawla's special interest in Journalism made him a correspondent in "The Assam Tribune". Apart from being the editor of "Remna Palai", the daily published by the Congress Party and founder-cum-editor of the "Mizo Aw", the vernacular daily of Mizoram, Mr. Lal Thanhawla was the founder-cum-president of the Journalists' Association of his state. Besides these, he is involved in activities related to church, students' movement, Young Mizo Association (YMA) etc. His hobbies include gardening, reading magazines and books on different topics and listening to classical music, soft music, folk songs, oldies etc. He often visits health clubs and gyms.
Contact details of Mizoram's current Chief Minister
The contact information of Mizoram Chief Minister's present address is: Chief Minister's Bungalow,
Mc. Donald Hill, Zarkawt,
Aizawl, Mizoram, India.
Office Tel.: + 91-0389-2322150
Res. Tel.: + 91-0389-2322425/2322274
Office Fax: + 91-0389-2322245
The contact details of the permanent address of Mr. Pu Lal Thanhawla are as follows: A/ 14, Zarkawt Main Street,
Aizawl, Mizoram, India.
Which foreign countries have been visited by Mr. Pu Lal Thanhawla?
Mr. Pu Lal Thanhawla has traveled to numerous foreign countries. Those foreign tours include countries like Canada, China, Europe, Hongkong, Japan, Malaysia, United Arab Emirates (U.A.E.), along with the nearby Arab countries and United States of America (U.S.A.), including Hawaii.
Political career of the present Chief Minister of Mizoram
Prior to joining politics in the year 1966, Pu Lal Thanhawla started his profession as a Recorder in the District Council's Office of School Inspectors. Post that, he worked as an Assistant in the Co-operative Apex Bank in the north east state of Assam.
Political activities of Mr. Pu Lal Thanhawla
The numerous and varied political as well as socialist activities of this Mizoram Chief Minister include the following:
- Initiated peace discussion between the Government of India and the National Front of Mizoram during the 20 years' revolutionary trouble in the state of Mizoram.
- Assisted in the signature of Mizoram Accord between the Indian Government and the Underground National Front of Mizoram under the supervision of the then Prime Minister of India, Mr. Rajiv Gandhi by voluntarily offering his existing Chief Ministership to the contemporary leader of the Underground National Front. By doing so, he ushered lasting tranquility and peace in Mizoram.
- Headed the Indian Sports Administrators' delegation in the International Conference on Environment and Sports held at Kuwait.
- Was the leader of the Wushu Team of India in the International Wushu Competition held at Rome, where India won 4 gold medals, 5 silver medals and bronze medals.
- Represented the Olympic Association of India twice. Once in the International Conference on Cultural Relations and Sports held at Singapore and again in the 2004 Olympics held at Athens.
- A lifetime member of the Young Mizo Association, Indian Bible Society and India's Evangelical Fellowship.
- Was Vice President of the New Delhi based Prohibition Council of India.
- Held the position of Chairman of the Literacy Committee of the National Development Council.
- Was a member of the 9th Finance Commission.
Departments included in Portfolio of Chief Minister of Mizoram
The Portfolio of the present Chief Minister of Mizoram comprises of the following nine departments:
- Department of Cabinet and Politics
- Department of Electricity and Power
- Department of Fishery
- Department of General Administration
- Department of Minor Irrigation
- Department of Public Works
- Department of Secretariat Administration
- Department of Vigilance
- Department of Water and Soil Conservation
Which are the honours given to Mr. Pu Lal Thanhawla?
Mr. Pu Lal Thanhawla has been honoured with several awards. The most significant among them are National Citizens Award from Mother Teresa in 1994 and Mother Teresa Lifetime Achievement Award in the year 2009.
Speaker of Mizoram
Mr. Hiphei, veteran Congress leader, is the Speaker of Mizoram. He was born on 23 August 1927 at Chapui village in Sahiba district.
He has been elected to the Rajya Sabha for two terms 1990-1996 and 1996-2002. In the Assembly elections 2013, he won the seat from Palak constituency of Saiha district overpowering P.P. Thawlla.
Executive of Mizoram
The executive of Mizoram comprises of the post of Governor, Chief Minister, Council of Minister, Speaker and other important functionaries who ensure efficient administration of the state. Headed by the Governor of Mizoram, the state has steadfastly moved towards progress in all spheres of public life. The functional head of the Government of Mizoram, the Governor plays an important role in the development of the state. The state of Mizoram is led by the Chief Minister. The Chief Minister is unanimously elected by the Members of Legislative Assembly of Mizoram.
The Chief Minister in consultation with his Council of Ministers takes important decisions regarding any social, political or economic issues of Mizoram. The Council of Ministers are allotted different portfolios for better administration of the state. The Council Ministers of Mizoram are:
- Lal Thanhawla: Political & Cabinet, Vigilance, General Administration Department, Secretariat Administration, Personnel & Administrative Reforms, Information & Public Relations, Public Works, Power & Electricity, District Council Affairs
- R. Lalzirliana: Home (including Prisons & Sainik Welfare Resettlement), Agriculture, Rural Development, Excise & Narcotics
- R.Romawia: Higher & Technical Education, Art & Culture, Land Revenue & Settlement, Parliamentary Affairs
- Lalsawta: Finance, Planning & Programme Implementation, Taxation, Law & Judicial
- H. Rohluna: School Education, Industries including Directorate of Mining & Mineral Resources, Trade & Commerce
- Zodintluanga: Urban Development & Poverty Alleviation, Sports & Youth Services, Public Health Engineering
- P.C.Lalthanliana: Food, Civil Supplies & Consumer Affairs, Transport, Tourism
- John Rotluangliana: Horticulture, Local Administration Department, Social Welfare
- Lal Thanzara: Health & Family Welfare, Minor Irrigation, Information & Communication Technology
- Lalrinmawia Ralte: Environment & Forests, Cooperation, Labour, Employment & Industrial Training, Soil & Water Conservation
- C.Ngunlianchunga: Animal Husbandry & Veterinary, Disaster Management & Rehabilitation, Printing & Stationery
- Dr. B.D. Chakma: Sericulture, Fisheries
Judiciary of Mizoram
The judiciary of Mizoram helps in the swift disposal of criminal and civil cases. The judicial system of Mizoram is supported by Subordinate Courts of Aizwal Bench. Under the strict supervision of the High Court of Guwahati, the Aizwal Bench carries out the judicial duties with absolute transparency. Comprising of efficient lawyers, the subordinate courts of Mizoram provide the common masses with justice. The subordinate courts of Mizoram deal with all the cases pertaining to civil or criminal jurisdiction. The lawyers of the lower courts of Mizoram are appointed on the basis of the Mizoram Judicial Service Rules of 2006.
The concerned parties are free to apply in the High Court of Guwahati in case they are not satisfied with the decision of the subordinate court of Mizoram. On the basis of the data collected by the state government there were 1375 civil cases pending in the Subordinate Court of Mizoram on 31st December, 2006. In the field of criminal jurisdiction, there were 3088 pending cases on 31st December, 2006.
The honorable Chief Justice of the High Court of Guwahati has ordered the subordinate courts of Mizoram for a speedy delivery of justice in both the civil as well as the criminal cases. The highly qualified lawyers and judges of the Subordinate Court of Mizoram ensure absolute transparency while dealing with any case.
The separation of Judiciary from Executive in Mizoram has helped in the legal procedure of the state.
The government departments in Mizoram look after the administration of the state. The departments offer a systematic administration of the various social, economic and cultural aspects of the state of Mizoram.
- Finance Department: The Finance Department of Mizoram takes care of the expenditure and revenue of the state. The department plays an important role in managing the finance of the state.
- Planning and Programme Implementation Department: The Planning and Programme Implementation Department ensures proper and timely implementation of the various strategies undertaken by the state government in the Five Years Plan.
- Home Department: One of the prominent departments of the state Government, the Home Department looks after the law and order of Mizoram. General Administration Department- The General Administration Department ensures proper administration of the districts, takes important decisions regarding administration and writes the speech of the Governor during times of budget presentation.
- Agriculture Department: The Agriculture Department implements several measures to enhance the productivity of the agricultural crops of Mizoram. The state government of Mizoram has equally distributed all the responsibilities among the various departments to ensure good governance. The administrative officials look after the needs and necessities of the common masses and implements the decisions of the state government. The division of responsibilities has helped Mizoram to progress towards further development.
Last Updated on : January 24, 2014