Ravenshaw College is one of the best colleges of Cuttack. It came into existence after the great famine of 1866, due to the endeavor of T E Ravenshaw, the Officiating Commissioner of Orissa. He made the Bengal government realize the difficulties of the students of the city in getting college education. He also obtained the permission to start collegiate classes in the Zila School of Cuttack. Ravenshaw College in Cuttack, started in January, 1868.
During its inception, intermediate classes were taking place. However, in 1875, Mr Ravenshaw proposed to convert the collegiate school into a degree college. The government of Bengal accepted the proposal made by Ravenshaw. The proposal was accepted on a condition that Rs 30, 000 be deposited as public contribution. Mr Ravenshaw, in association with Mr H Woodrew and Mr H J Reynolds, requested the government of India to sanction the incidental charges. The Collegiate School was converted into a Government Degree College in 1876. The new college came to be known as 'Cuttack College', which was affiliated to Calcutta University. The college, with Mr Samuel Ager as its first principal, had about 19 students during its inception. In 1881, Ravenshaw College of Cuttack was granted permanent status.
The University Bill proposed the transfer of Ravenshaw College to the newly created Patna University in 1916. As a result, the college passed under Patna University on 1st October, 1917. Ravenshaw College at Cuttack was shifted to its present site in 1921. The founding stone of the college was laid by Sir Edward Gait, the erstwhile Governor of Orissa and Bihar, in 1919.
Last Updated on 30 August 2012