History of Ooty

John Sullivan, the then district collector of Coimbatore, is credited for bringing the beautiful hill station of Ooty before public eye. Thus 1819, when he visited this hill station for the first time, is one of the most important years in the history of Ooty.

Some Englishmen went to Ooty in Tamil Nadu before 1819 even. In the year of 1812 Mr Keys, the Assistant Revenue Surveyor and Mc Mahon, his assistant were sent there by the district collector of Coimbatore. They were the first Englishmen to climb up the Nilgiris. They went up to the Kallati, the lower levels of North Ooty through Dananayakan Kottai. But they never noticed the promising beauty of the surrounding landscape.

Later in the year of 1818, J.C Whish and N.W. Kinderseley visited this place. But it was in 1819 that the route to Ooty was laid and the possibilities of Ooty as an important tourist destination was discovered.

Another important fact in the history of Ooty is the laying of the path to the hill station. The earliest route to Nilgiri from Coimbatore was laid in the year of 1821, Shirumugai to Kotagiri. Later in the year of 1832 the first Coonoor Ghat road was built. In the year of 1871, the present metaled ghat road was laid. It connects Kallar and Coonoor by covering a distance of about 25 kilometers.

It was John Sullivan who built the first house in Ooty. It was called the Stone House. Gradually the hill station started gaining popularity with the tourists and historical Ooty became one of the most important hill resorts in India.

Last Updated on 9/20/2011



Which States Share Boundary with China?India, in total, shares land borders with 6 sovereign countries. China is one of those. Below are the Indian states which share borders with the country. 1. Jammu and Kashmir This northern state of India is mostly located in the Himalayan mountains. It shares a… Read More...
Which States Share Boundaries with Pakistan? There are four states that share a border with Pakistan, namely, Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan, and Gujarat. The India Pakistan Border is quite intriguing. Since India has installed 1,50,000 flood lights on… Read More...
Which Places in India Still Largely Speak Sanskrit?Sanskrit is considered as Dev Bhasha, the language of Gods. It has a history of around 3500 years. It used to be a primary language of ancient India. Its earliest form Vedic Sanskrit, was prevalent from 1500 500 BCE. However, it is fading… Read More...

EU GDPR Update:
MapsofIndia has updated its Terms and Privacy Policy to give Users more transparency into the data this Website collects, how it is processed and the controls Users have on their personal data. Users are requested to review the revised Privacy Policy before using the website services, as any further use of the website will be considered as User's consent to MapsofIndia Privacy Policy and Terms.
We follow editorialcalls.org for border and boundary demarcations