Thirumalai Nayak Palace

The Thirumalai Nayak Palace is one of the most popular places of interest in Madurai. This palace represents art in the Indo-Saracenic style. This tourist attraction is particularly popular among the tourists who take a lot of interest in historical structures.

The Thirumalai Nayak Palace of Madurai was erected in the 17th century. In the year 1636, a king called Thirumalai Nayak established the Thirumalai Nayak Palace. The original palace was four times the current structure. The grandson of Thirumalai Nayak, who was called Chokkanatha Nayak, destroyed this beautiful palace and removed the precious belongings of the palace to other places.

During the period between the years 1866 and 1872, the Thirumalai Nayak Palace was renovated by Lord Napier. He was the governor of Madras at that time. Post independence, the Thirumalai Nayak Palace was declared a national monument. It is now looked after by the Tamil Nadu Archaeological Department.

The Thirumalai Nayak Palace at Madurai is made up of two prominent parts called Rangavilasa and Swargavilasa. Currently, the tourists can only view the courtyard called the Swargavilasa and a few surrounding structures. This courtyard has white pillars, which are round in shape.

The structure of the palace that can be viewed today is the place where the king used to live. Various musical and dance programs were held in this part of the palace.

The palace shrine is situated towards the northeast of the palace structure. Here, Thirumalai Nayak used to offer prayers to the deity called Rajrajeswari. The shrine exhibits fine carvings on stone. The dome is enfolded with gold.

Last Updated on 9/15/2011