Nashik is a religious place and one of the holy Hindu pilgrimage spots of India, Kumbh Mela. Every natural aspect of this place is intertwined with folklore, mythology, and religious beliefs - making it more mysterious and worthwhile to explore.
Best Time to Visit
You can visit Nashik anywhere between October and March. If you visit here during winter, you can enjoy the most because of cool and soothing temperature that prevails over there. Also for sightseeing, winter is the best season. Average temperature of the place during various seasons and corresponding months are as mentioned:
- March to June (Summer): 23°C to 40°C
- June to September (Monsoon): 21°C to 29°C
- November to March (Winter): 12°C to 32°C
How to Reach Nashik
Nashik is located in the north-west region of Maharashtra. It is considered among the major cities in the state and can be reached by road, airways, or railway.
To Reach Nashik by road, you will not only find state transport services but also private buses and other vehicles such as taxis. To get there, you either have to travel around 166 km from the city of Mumbai or 209 km from the city of Pune by road.
Railway station of this city is considered as one of the most important railway stations in Central Railway. Therefore, every train passing through that region stops at Nashik.
If you want to reach this place by air, the nearest international airport is Mumbai's Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport. Another important domestic airport near the city is in Pune. Nashik even has two airports - Ozar Airport and Gandhinagar Airport.
Distance to Nashik
- From mumbai - 185 KM
- From delhi - 1222 KM
- From pune - 202 KM
You can go around the city by the most popular conveyance here - auto rickshaw. Fares are affordable. Public transport can also be availed here to reach anywhere in the city. Other than public buses, you will find wide array of private buses too. If you need to travel around the city for the entire day, you can book taxis or private cars such as Sumos. You can also take train from the nearest railway station to visit the places located near Nashik. If you are a tourist, you can take the Nashik Darshan Bus to visit different religious destinations here. Some of the places to visit with this bus include Tapovan, Sita Gufa, Panchavati, and many more. Rental cars are also available here for visiting the local places.
You will find all kinds of hotels in Nashik. Whether you are looking for economy hotels or high-end ones, you will find them all here. Most of the hotels present here are budget ones. Many of the tourists appreciate the arrangements and facilities provided here.
It is advisable to book your stay beforehand for best of experience. Ginger Hotel, IBIS, The Taj Gateway Hotel, Hotel New Holiday Plaza and Express Inn are a few to mention among many hotels in Nashik.
All kinds of foods are available in Nashik. Whether it is Maharashtrian, European, Chinese, North Indian, or South Indian delicacies, you will find all of them here.
If you want to taste the local Maharashtrian dishes in Nashik, then do not miss Ukadiche Modak, Puran Poli and Batata Wada. Confluence of these dishes with those of the neighbouring regions of Gujarat, and Rajasthan can be found here.
While visiting this place, you should try the local snacks available by the roadside such as Pohay, Chivda, Surali Wadi, Vada Pav, Upma, Thalipeeth, Pav bhaji, Bakarwadi, Misal Pav, Sabudana Khichadi, Bhadang, and others.
Shopping in Nashik
Silverware craftsmanship is famous here. Just roam along the Main Road and you will find innumerable vendors from whom you can get the best crafts at least price. All kinds of brands such as Levis, Woodlands, Fabindia, Adidas, etc. are also available across numerous market complexes present in Nashik.
If you want to buy fashion apparels and clothes from Nashik, various stores are there, from where you can buy best products at affordable price. Some of the renowned names over here include Harish Cloth Stores, Babubhai Cloth Store, Deolali Cloth Stores, Amarson Cloth Centre, Gurunanak Cloth Stores, Shivaji Cloth Market Bhadrakali Nasik, and others.
Nashik is popular for the following:
- Various must-visit destination including Tapovan, Sita Gufaa, Gargoti Sangrahalaya (or Mineral Museum), Phalke Smarak, Sundarnarayan Temple, Muktidham, Ganga Ghat, Bhaktidham, Chambhar Leni, Jain Mandir, Pandav Leni, Kalaram Temple, Anjaneri Parvat, Stone Age Site, Trambakeshwar, Nandur-Madhmeshwar, and others.
- Nashik is not only popular for its religious places but also for the quality of vegetable and fruits. All varieties of fresh oranges and grapes are available here. Vegetables like tomatoes and onions are also high on quality and even Nashik is considered to be the largest wholesale market for onions in India.
- One of the greatest and unique aspects of this place is the quality of wine available here. In fact, this place is also called Wine Capital of India. In the small town called Ojhar, Table Grape revolution started in the year 1925. They have retained their uniqueness and quality of wine produced till date. It has become so popular that these wines are exported to different parts of the world, including Middle East, Asia, and Europe.
Here are some of the tips for both domestic and foreign travellers:
- Most people of this place are conversant in three languages: Marathi (local language), Hindi, and English. Foreigners should keep in mind that many people understand English but can not speak. So, learning some essential words of the local and national languages will help you to communicate with the local populace.
- If you are a shopaholic, there is simply wide range of handmade antiques available in Nashik. Whether it is exclusive Persian carpets, shawls, Indian handlooms, hand-made antiques, original Indian art, or restored period furniture, you will be simply spoilt by choices.
- You should go through the different aspects of this city before preparing the itinerary to get most out of your journey.
- Foreign tourists should keep in mind the culture and traditional aspect of the place. Please avoid doing anything that hurts religious sentiments. Leave your footwear in a secured place outside a temple while going inside.
- Foreigners should carry proper identification documents with them such as copy of Passport, ID card, and others.
This is a relative question to answer. In fact, the number of days you need to enjoy Nashik will depend on the time you want to spend exploring each destination here. However, at least 3 days and 2 night are required to check some of the most important places in and around Nashik.
Tourism Department Contacts
Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation (Office at Nashik)
Paryatan Bhavan, Government Guest House Premises,
Near Gold Club Ground, Nashik-422 002.
Tel: (0253) 2570 059
Fax: 2579 352
ESI Hospital: (0253) 235-1114, 1045
Lifeline Hospital: (0253) 2597904 / 5 / 6 /7
Dr. Zakir Hussain Kathada Hospital: (0253) 2590049
Women crisis response:1091
Civil Hospital: (0253) 2576106
Railway Inquiry: (0253) 2572715, 2461274
National Highways (Emergency Relief Center): 1033
Fire Brigade: 101
Last Updated on : 19/09/2013