Major cities are the most coveted destinations in Uttarakhand. Uttarakhand is among the newly formed states in India, that shared its major cities with Uttar Pradesh before 9th November, 2000.
- Badrinath - This is the most important among the major cities of Uttarakhand. In fact, it is among the most famous sites of India's Char Dham. The town, Badrinath, lies between the Nar and Narayana mountain ranges, about 301 kilometers from Rishikesh.
- Dehradun - Dehradun, one of the major cities of Uttarakhand, is the capital of Uttarakhand, and is situated about 230 kilometers from New Delhi. Some of the neighboring cities and towns of Dehradun are Haridwar, Rishikesh, Roorkee, Mussoorie and Sahranpur.
- Kedarnath - Kedarnath is situated in the Himalayas at about 3548 meters above sea-level. The site also houses the holiest of the Hindu temples and thus every year the city witnesses a large number tourists.
- Gangotri - Gangotri is situated in the Greater Himalayan Ranges on the banks of the river Bhagirathi. Gangotri is situated at an elevation of 3,042 meters from sea-level.
- Haridwar - Haridwar in Hindi means 'Gateway to God'. It is among the seven holiest places to the Hindus. Some of the places of interest in this major city of Uttarakhand are Chandi Devi, Har-Ki-Pauri, Pavan Dham, Jwalapur, etc.
These are some of the major cities that play a significant role in Uttarakhand tourism. In fact, it is in these major cities that one can get the flavor of the ancient kingdoms that ruled at these site.
- Kashipur, etc.
Last Updated on 4 March 2013