Baroda Museum and Art Gallery



Baroda Museum and Art Gallery was constructed in 1887 by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad. It was designed by Major Mant in association with R F Chisholm. Being one of the finest example of Indo-Sarcenic architecture, the museum resembles the Victoria and Albert and Science Museums of London. Although the museum building was completed in 1894, the construction of the art gallery was accomplished in 1914. It was opened in the year 1921. The opening of the museum was detained due to the delay in the transfer of the exhibits from Europe during the First World War. The Mughal miniatures and masterpieces by renowned European artists are among the major attractions of Baroda Museum and Art Gallery in Vadodara.

Baroda Museum and Art Gallery is known for its collection of artifacts and various other items of the past. The museum houses a rich collection of sculptures, ethnology, art and ethnography. Among the attractions of the museum are the skeleton of a blue whale and an Egyptian mummy. It is also known to possess Akota bronzes belonging to the 5th century. Miniature works belonging to the Mughal era, Tibetan art and paintings by various European artists are among the famous exhibits of the museum. Baroda Museum and Art Gallery of Vadodara also contains ancient manuscripts, sculptures and antiques belonging to India, as well as Egypt. One can come across various original paintings by British painters Turner and Constable at the museum in Vadodara.



Last Updated on: 8/05/2013