The List of Indian languages includes:
- Gujarati - Language of Gujarat and Union Territories of Dadar and Nagar Haveli
- Punjabi - The official language of Punjab
- Bengali- The state language of West Bengal
- Assamese - Official language of Assam
- Dogri, Urdu - The language of Jammu and Kashmir
- Oriya - The state language of state of Orissa
- Marathi - Language of Maharashtra
- Kannada - The official language of Karnataka
- Tamil - The state language of Tamil Nadu
- Telugu - It is the official language of Andhra Pradesh.
- Malayalam - It is the official language of Kerala
- Konkani - The state language of Goa
- Manipuri - The official language of Manipur
- Khasi - The official language of Meghalaya
- Mizo - The official language of Mizoram
- Lotha - The official language of Nagaland
Urdu and Telugu are also the official languages of the newly formed state, Telangana.
Besides these, there are Indian languages which are spoken by large masses but have still not acquired the status of Scheduled Languages of India. These languages spoken by regional people are known as regional languages of India. This includes Rajasthani, Bihari, Haryanavi, Bhili, Gondi, Tulu among others.
Some Indian languages are not widely spoken; they are given the status of minority languages. Mahl and Portuguese languages come under this category.
Last updated on : October 28, 2014