CMS College Kottayam
came into existence due to the effort of the Church Missionary Society of London in 1817.
This renowned college happens to be the oldest higher education institution in the entire South Indian Territory. It has the affiliation of Mahatma Gandhi University. The college is owned by Diocese of Madhya Kerala of the Church of South India. It is managed by Diocesan Bishop. The Principal is engaged in the day to day management of the college.
In the year of 1999, National Assessment and Accreditation Council of India awarded the Five Star Status to CMS College Kottayam
. The college can be easily accessed as the railway station is only at a distance of 1.5 kilometers from it and the Kochi International Airport at Nedumbassery is 90 kilometers from it.
CMS College of Kottayam is spread over an area of 35 acres of land. About 8 acres of land is the home to several animals and plants that add to the beauty of the campus. It has been divided into a number of blocks, which are as follows:
- Administrative Block
- College House
- Department Blocks
- Seminar Hall
- Computer Centre
- State Bank of Travancore Branch
- Great Hall
- Playgrounds for football, cricket, hockey, basketball, etc.
The departments of this college can be divided into:
- Physical Education
- Family and Community Science
The various courses offered by Kottayam CMS College are:
- Graduation- Bachelors' degree in Physics, Botany, Math, Chemistry, Zoology, Biotech, F and CS, English, History, Comparative English, Economics and Commerce.
- Post Graduation- Master Degree in Physics, Applied Physics, Math, Analytical Chemistry, Applied Chemistry, Pure Chemistry, Biotech, Zoology, Botany, FSM, Sociology, English Literature, History, Eco, M.Com (F).
- M. Phil
- PhD- Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, English, Commerce.
- GS Center- M.Sc. IT, B.Sc. IT, MBA-IT, M.Sc. BI, Linux, Hardware, and Multimedia.
- Off Campus- MBA and MCA
- Diploma- Dietetics, Professional Accounting, Fashion Technology, Web Designing and Ornamental Fish Culture.
- Certificate- Computer Literacy, Fashion Designing and Communication.
Apart from efficient faculty members of the college, highly proficient guest lecturers are also invited to the college to share their knowledge with the students.
CMS College, Kottayam has got an excellent library known as the Collins Library. This library has been built in memory of Rev. Richard Collins who was the ex-Principal of this college. A large number of old books are available for research scholars for reference works. One can avail the facility of photocopying here. The library has three sections namely General Library, Sectional Library and Reading Room.
There are a number of organizations that aid the college in different ways. They are:
- Fine Arts Club
- Quiz Club
- Campus Lens
- Brain Trust
- Tourism Club
- Nature Club
- USHUS Club
- Reader's Forum
For any further information on CMS College Kottayam, one can get in touch with:
CMS College Kottayam
Kottayam - 686 001
Phone: 0091 - 481 - 2566002
Last Updated on : March 23, 2016