Ernakulam, located towards the western side of Kochi, mainly refers to the downtown region of Kochi's mainland. Being the commercial capital of Kerala, this city forms the chief nerve of the different business activities carried on in the state. Blessed with rich culture, this place attracts tourists for its grandeur. The various pilgrim centers as well as the other tourist places contribute to the uniqueness of the city.
October to March
Places to see in and around Ernakulam
- Bastion Bunglow- Built in 1667 AD it reflects the Indo-European architectural style.
- Bolghatty Palace- Constructed in the year 1744 this has now been transformed into a KTDC hotel which has got a golf course as well as beautiful view points.
- Cherai Beach- Enveloped in lush coconut palms this beach is an exclusive combination of backwaters and sea.
- Children's Park- It is a high-tech park that has got a musical fountain and a museum that upholds the concept of non-conventional energy.
- Chottanikkara Temple- The uniqueness of this temple lies in the fact that worship of Mother Goddess is done here in three forms in a day like as Goddess Saraswati during morning as Goddess Bhadrakali during noon and as Goddess Durga during evening.
- Hill Palace- It is the biggest archaeological museum in the Kerala state which displays carvings and numerous other royalty trappings like weapons and majestic beds etc.
- Historical Museum- Apart from the Parasurama's statue the varied sculptures exhibited in this museum portray the state's history.
- Iringole Forest Temple- Popularly called Iringole Kavu this temple is located within a rain forest and is around 8 km from the town of Kalady.
- Marine Drive- It is a beautiful place which offers an excellent view of Kochi city's harbor and backwaters.
- Parikshit Thampuran Museum- Situated on the Darbar Hall Road this museum has got a collection of paintings that dates back to the 19th Century and pre-historic monuments. Scriptures made of stone or plaster of Paris including mural paintings and different other belongings of the royal family of Cochin are the main attractions of this place.
- Dutch Palace
- Jewish Synagogue
- Kallil Temple
- Kanjiramattom Mosque
- Kottayil Kovilakam
- Pallipuram Fort
- Santa Cruz Bascillica
- St. Francis Church
- Thrikkakara Temple
- Willingdon Island
Karipur Airport, even known as Calicut International Airport in Kozhikode, located at a distance of around 93 km towards the south of Ernakulam.
Nearest Railway Station
Ernakulam Junction Railway Station
The city of Ernakulam, similar to many other Indian cities, can be regarded as a place of shopper's delight. The market area of this city in India offers the following items to a shop lover: Antiques, Handicrafts, Jewelry, Readymade garments, Spices, Textiles. Apart from these, the city has even got several shops selling branded clothes as well as varied other accessories like bags, perfumes, watches and many more. Broadway, Marine Drive and M. G. Road are the most prominent shopping areas in the city.
Last Updated on : 15/10/2013