Located in the Karjat Tahsil of the state of Maharashtra, this is the smallest hill station of the country. Positioned at an altitude of about 800 m from the level of the sea, this is a city cum a municipal council of the district of Raigad.
Best Time to visit
This city of Maharashtra experiences a less humid and cold climatic conditions all through the year, which makes tourists visit the place all round the year. However, the best time to plan your travel to this hill station of west India is during the period that starts from the month of September and stretches till June, when the weather remains favourable and pleasant for sightseeing. For people, who are nature lovers can even visit the place during the monsoon season as well so as to experience the panoramic view of the cascading waterfalls.
Places to see in and around Matheran
In spite of being a small hill station of the country this place has got many places of visit which attracts tourists from its neighborhood as well as distant area of the nations. The area has got approximately 38 lookout points that offer scenic view of the beautiful valleys. The region is even dotted with other places of interest like serene lakes and well maintained parks. Following are some of the most visited tourist spots in and around this hill station of India:
- Charlotte Lake- Even called by the name of the ?Sharlott Lake? it is among Matheran's most picturesque tourist spots.
- Celia Point- This is the point of origination of a waterfall which cascades through the hills of the place.
- Echo Point- This place is quite often frequented by tourists since it is among the two popular tourist spots that are located towards the left of the Charlotte Lake.
- Honeymoon Point- Apart from its scenic beauty this place is known for the activity of valley crossing which is done with the help of a rope. Though it is a bit risky activity but is mostly enjoyed by the adventure lovers who come to visit this Indian hill station.
- Madhavji Point- Apart from offering a panoramic view of the natural beauty of the surrounding area this point has even got a beautiful garden.
- Kar- It is an important pilgrimage town since medieval times on the banks of river Ganga and has many temples including Bhairav Temple and Kaleshwar Mahadev. There is also an ashram and Samadhi of Saint Malookdas. Another attraction is the ruins of a fort built by Jaichand the last Hindu king of Kannauj.
- Allahabad- The famous pilgrim city is only 65 km away. One can get a bus or a taxi from here to Sarai Akil the closest village to Kausambi. The Allahabad museum has many of the archeological artifacts of the excavations. There are also modern paintings and ancient sculptures. You can get a free guided tour at the Museum. The Fort built by Akbar in 1583 AD on the banks of Yamuna at Allahabad has an Asoka Pillar and an interesting underground temple called the Patalpuri temple.
- Mount Berry- Based at a distance of about 5 km from the city centre this is one of the well known tourist destinations of the place and offers a scenic view of Neral as well as the Matheran Peak. The main attraction of this place is the slow train which moves up the hill offering a glimpse of the natural beauty of the area.
- Louisa Point- It is one of the famous picnic spots which is positioned towards the left hand side of the Charlotte Lake. .
- Panorama Point- Known for providing amazing view of sunrise the place is often regarded as the ?Sunrise Point?.
- Pisarnath Temple- This temple is based on the right hand side of the Charlotte Lake.
- Porcupine Point- Being a point that offers a spectacular view of sunset this place is even known as the ?Sunset Point?.
- Alexander Point
- Belvedere Point
- Big Chowk Point
- Khandala Point
- Little Chowk Point
- Lords Point
- Mayra Point
- Olympia Race Course
- One Tree Hill Point
- Rambag Point
How to Reach Matheran
The Mumbai Airport, which is officially called the Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport, is the nearest airport to this small hill station. The distance in between this airport and Matheran is around 100 km.
Nearest Railway Station
The nearest railway station to this travel destination of Maharashtra is located at Neral that is located at a distance of about 20 km from the heart of the town.
The place, being a small town, is not quite famous as a shopping destination. The region has got a small market area, which houses some small shops and does not have any big commercial shopping area. The shops of this area offers different kinds of local handcrafted items, which one can buy as a gift for a loved one or to take back home as a souvenir of his or her travel to Matheran. One can even get a glimpse of artisans working on leather strips so as to fashion the Kolhapuri chappal, which the town is known for.
The other exclusive leather goods include leather belts, leather shoes and leather bags. People can get those leather made items at an affordable and reasonable price. The main market of Mathran is the best place to shop in while your stay in the town. Apart from these, those Matheran shops even sell dried wild flowers, glass birds and walking sticks. The market places of this hill station are dominated by chocolate fudge, which is confectionary item which is prepared from gram flour, cashew nut and jaggery.
M. G. Road of this place has got three shops, which are popular for selling Nariman Chikki. Most of the sweet shops of this Maharasthra hill station sell fresh and good quality honey as well.
Last Updated on : 16/10/2013