Spiritual Retreat – Radha Ras Bihari Temple (ISKCON Temple) in Mumbai
Spread over four acres of land, Radha Ras Bihari Temple (or commonly known as ISKCON temple) in Mumbai is among the most beautiful temples in the city. Located near the Juhu beach with over a hundred-feet high marble domes, the ISKCON temple cannot be ruled out while visiting the Mumbai nagari. Shree Radha Ras Bihari Ashta Sakhi Temple (the complete name of the temple) is dedicated to Radha-Krishna and the eight companions of Radha. It was opened in 1978 and houses the main temple, an auditorium, a seven-storeyed guest house, a restaurant and a bakery.
“Hare Rama Hare Rama
Rama Rama Hare Hare
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare”
The melodious chants of this supreme mantra will surround your soul once you are in the abode of this serene temple. It has the power to ward off evil and destruction. You will find devotees swaying with there arms up in the air, lost in the holy rhythm, spiritually connected and cherishing their emotional bond with Lord Krishna during the arti.
Location: Harekrishna Land, near Chandan Cinema, Juhu, Mumbai, Maharashtra
Closed at: 1:00 pm to 4.30 pm, 9:00 pm to 4.30 am
- Special programmes are conducted for cultural, spiritual and educational enlightenment. One can always be a part of special workshops, seminars and lectures and contribute towards the development and upliftment of society.
- Prabhupada Quarters – It houses several items and memorabilia of Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada who was the Founder-Acharya of ISKCON. (Note: Visiting hours for the quarters are from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm.)
- Center of Vedic Education – It offers special courses based on the teachings of the Bhagwad Gita and Srimad Bhagavatam, stress management programmes, yoga sessions and Vedic education.
- Library – It has a wide collection of spiritual books as well as a multimedia section where one can hear recorded lectures and bhajans (devotional songs and prayers).
- There is sufficient place for accommodation, i.e.a guest house and guest rooms for those who are interested in staying in the pious atmosphere and participating in the temple programs.
- Vedic Samskara Hall – This hall is available for marriage yagna (special prayers and hawans) and auspicious celebrations. Besides this, there are other halls namely Mandapam, Gauranga, Shankha and Vrindavan with variable capacities that can be hired to host ceremonies and functions.
- Govinda’s Restaurant – It serves pure vegetarian meals in all varieties – Indian, Chinese, Thai, Mexican and Italian.
- Govinda’s Bakery – Delicious cakes, mousse, donuts, burgers, pizzas and other baked delicacies are served here.
- You can also shop for religious books, VCDs and DVDs, traditional outfits, puja items from the Spiritual Boutique.
- Try attending the Sunday Feast Program also called the Priti Vardhanam held at the Heaven on Earth building in the temple complex from 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm. Special kirtans and Vedic philosophy sessions are held that are later followed by a delicious Krishna prasadam offering.
- Special celebrations take place on festivals including Janmashtami, Radhastami, Govardhan Puja, Ramnavami and Jaganath Rath Yatra.
- There is sufficient space for car parking.
- Dress up conservatively.
- Reserve a room in advance if you are planning to stay there.
For more related information, you may refer to the following: