Where is Port Blair?
Port Blair is the capital city of Andaman and Nicobar Islands in India. Located at 11° 40' N and 92° 46' E, Port Blair is the municipal council in the southern part of Andaman, a part of India's Union Territory.
Visit Port Blair
Port Blair is mainly famous for the Cellular Jail. Being located on the coastal line of Bay of Bengal, the town has got palm-lined beaches with spectacular view of marine life and rare corals. A drive on the bumping roads amidst the lush green forests will make you fall for the place.
STD code of Port Blair
The STD code of Port Blair is 03192.
Different languages used in Port Blair
Port Blair, being a part of the tribal area of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, mainly speaks Nicobarese. Apart from that, the residents of Port Blair even speak languages like Hindi, Bengali, Malayalam, Telugu and Tamil.
Type of climate in Port Blair
Port Blair experiences a moderate and tropical monsoon type of climate. The average temperature varies a little bit ranging from 20° C to 30° C with heavy or light rainfall almost throughout the year. The month of April is the warmest month when average temperature rises to around 32° C. The months of January, February and March is said to be the coolest months of the year, when the average temperature drops down to about 22° C. Monsoon from the south-western region sets in during mid-May to June, whereas, monsoon from the north-eastern region hits the place between the months of November and December. Annually, Port Blair receives about 3176 mm of rainfall and the average monthly rainfall is around 265 mm. Except the coolest months of January, February and March, almost all other months receives heavy precipitation. Among these months, March is known to be the driest month of the year with an approximate rainfall of 16 mm. On the contrary, the month of June is known for its wettest weather with an average rainfall of 596 mm along with snowfall or hailstorms for about 25 days. This is the time of the year when Port Blair gets the lowest hours of sunshine. The daily average hours of sunshine during the month of June are about 3.4 hours.
Best time in a year to visit Port Blair
Keeping in mind the overall yearly climate of Port Blair, the period between the months of December and the starting of April is the best time to visit the place.
How well-connected is Port Blair to the other Indian states?
Port Blair, being an island city of India, is connected to the other parts of the country by air and water ways. However, the city is inter-connected to the other parts of the Andaman and Nicobar Island through roadways as well.
How to reach Port Blair by waterways?
Port Blair, the classified "intermediate port" serves as the major port of the place. Besides being the principal shipping hub, this port helps people to get connected to the other parts of the nation. 80 ships are sailed in Port Blair by the Directorate of Shipping Services. These ships mainly serve the residents as well as tourists in the following four ways:
- Ferry services in harbours
- Foreshore service
- Inter-island service
- Island to Indian mainland service
- Kolkata to Port Blair: 56 hrs
- Chennai to Port Blair: 60 hrs
- Vishakapatnam to Port Blair: 56 hrs
How to reach Port Blair by air?
Owing to the fact that it takes long to reach Port Blair by water, the city is quite well-connected by airways. Daily flights fly to and from Kolkata and Chennai to the Veer Savarkar Airport in Port Blair. Some of the renowned airways serving the place are:
- Air India
- Jet Airways
As compared to the extended journey by ship, it takes just 2 hrs from Kolkata to reach Port Blair by an Indian Airlines' flight, which flies every Sunday, Wednesday and Friday of a given week. Indian Airlines even has got flights from Chennai on every Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday, which takes around 2hrs 5mins to reach Port Blair directly.
Major Tourist Attractions in Port Blair
Port Blair has got endless tourist attractions starting from wonderful beaches to unexplored marine life, the Cellular Jail to anthropological museum, which reflects the history and culture of the place. Some of the famous places, which attract tourists from all over the world, are:
- Cellular Jail: Cellular Jail, even famously known as Kala Pani during the British rule in India stands as the main landmark of Port Blair. The solitary cells of the jail still reflect the condition of Indian freedom fighters during their imprisonment there. A light and sound show in English is conducted every Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday at 7:15 pm in the seven winged jail originating out of a central tower. The show depicts the history behind the establishment of the prison. The Hindi version of the show is conducted at 6 pm everyday except during monsoon. Besides this, the Cellular Jail even houses a museum at its entrance which exhibits photographs of convicts along with the devices with which they were punished.
- Corbyn's Cove: Corbyn's Cove is the beach located at just 7 Km away from Port Blair. Surrounded by coconut and palm trees, the beach is ideal for sun basking and water sports. However, the presence of strong water current makes the place a bit risky for swimming. Snake Island of coral reefs is located in its close proximity.
- Samudrika Marine Museum: Divided in five sections, this museum displays the geography and history of the Andaman & Nicobar Islands. This marine museum operated by the Indian Navy, besides owning tanks full of exotic corals and fishes, exhibits miniature islands' models, tribal pictures, which reflect their life-style.
- Cinque Island: Cinque Island is one of the exotic islands in the entire Andamans. Extraordinary beaches surrounded by unspoiled coral reefs will make you feel that you are in a perfect holiday destination. The island provides opportunities to have a closer view of the undersea coral gardens. Besides this, swimming, fishing, scuba diving etc. can be done with prior permission from the Forest Department.
- Anthropological Museum
- Chatham Sawmill
- Children's Traffic Park
- Chiriya Tapu
- Fisheries museum
- Forest museum
- Gandhi park
- Havelock island
- Jolly buoy island
- Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park
- Mini Zoo
- Mt Harriet
- Neil Island
- Ross Island
- Sagarika Emporium
- Sippighat Farm and Water Sports Complex
- Viper Islands
- Zsi Museum
Last Updated on 31 October 2011