Shimla travel is one of the most happening things of the country. It is a favourite destination of tourists all over the country. A holiday in Shimla, in the highly pleasurable climate, will give you memories to cherish all your life. This hill station is encircled by enormous pine and deodar trees from all around. It is also termed as the 'Queen of hills'.
How to Reach Shimla
Being a popular tourist destination, Shimla is very well connected to the rest of the country. Here is how you can reach Shimla:
The nearest railway station to Shimla is at Kalka, after which one can take the Kalka-Shimla train, which operates on a narrow gauge and offers breathtaking views of the mountains. Here are a few trains to Kalka:
- Jhelum Express: From Pune
- Himalayan Queen: From Delhi
- Paschim Express: From Mumbai
The Himachal Pradesh Road Transport Corporation offers regular bus services to Shimla from various cities like Delhi, Chandigarh and Kalka.
The Shimla airport is about 22 km away from the city centre and is served by regular flights from Delhi. One can hire a taxi from the airport to reach Shimla.
Getting around Shimla
The best way to get around Shimla would be by buses which ply regularly. Since it is a small town, another good way is to explore.
Shopping in Shimla
Shimla is famous for its handicrafts and other handmade artifacts. The best place to go shopping in Shimla is the Mall Road from where you can buy many interesting souvenirs and gift items. Another popular buy there are the colourful Himachali caps. When in Shimla, don't forget to check out their beautiful shawls which come in intricate designs, threadwork and mirror work. Lower Bazaar, also known as Sabzi Mandi, is another popular place to go for shopping in Shimla. One can buy carved wooden walking sticks here.
The Himachali cuisine is very similar to that of the rest of the Northern India. The staple items of Himachali food are roti, rice, daal and sabzi (curried vegetables). The gravies prepared are thick and aromatic. Though primarily vegetarian, red meat also forms an important part of the Himachali food. Read More...
Shimla Travel Tips
Shimla travel tips are very important before you plan for a visit to this hill resort. Travelling in Shimla becomes more enjoyable, if you go by the below mentioned travel tips. Some travel tips of Shimla are:
- Cotton clothes are recommended during summer season, though you may need to wear some light winter garments in summer too. In the winter season, the climate is very chilling, so heavy woollen garments are a must.
- Shops are open from Monday to Saturday.
- For dining, restaurants are open till eleven at night.
- Though credit cards are accepted, it is advisable to carry cash in pocket.
Some Do's of Shimla travel tips
- Drink boiled or mineral water
- Carry lotions
- Carry medicines
- If you want to drive to Shimla, then carry additional fuel with you.
- Ask for fare chart if the taxis or auto-rickshaws do not have a meter.
- Negotiate with porters while trekking on animal's back.
- Dispose off waste materials carefully.
Some Don'ts of Shimla travel tips
- Try to avoid strangers.
- Don't buy antiques and products made out of endangered animals.
- Don't leave non-biodegradable items here and there.
Best time to visit
The ideal time for visiting Shimla is in the months of April to May or December to January. Shimla is well connected by air with Delhi and Kullu. The Chandigarh airport being nearby, one can also avail a flight from any major city in India to reach Shimla via Chandigarh. Even there are bus services available.
Last Updated on : 13/08/2014