Are you having issues concentrating on your studies? As this article will take you through ways to adopt a focused approach while studying, no need to worry.
To concentrate on your studies, one may need to alter his/her study patterns. One could study in a serene place without any outside distraction, try a new technique, or develop an effective study idea that enables your mind to break as regularly as you need. Experiment until you find what is suitable for you. With the right arrangement, concentrating becomes easier.
Following are the steps to concentrate in studies:
Pick up the right spot: A tranquil place with an appropriate environment should be chosen to study. Whether it is your room or a library, select an atmosphere free of disturbance to concentrate. It should be away from the TV, pets, and anything else that gives an easy distraction. Get a comfy chair with good lighting. There should be no strain on your back, neck, or eyes, as pain is also one of the distractions.
For example, do not study right in front of a Television.
- Work on Timetable. If you have a long night of studying coming up, make a plan for the day. Decide to work for 30-60 minute periods with 5-10 minute breaks between as the brain requires the break to recharge. It’s not tiring up, but it’s letting the brain access information. Shift subjects wise every hour or so to avoid yourself from getting in a tedious mode and saturate your mind. Working on one subject will lead your brain on autopilot. A new topic should be taken up with your calm mind and motivation.
- Make studying interactive: Teachers often realise that reading can get boring, especially when it’s on a topic which students don’t enjoy. To make learning more effective and make it easier to concentrate, one should use active reading techniques. It’ll keep the brain away from pondering unproductivity. Here are a few things one could work for:
- Ask yourself enough questions as you read.
- Look away from the page and speak out loud what you read
- Make notes on the concepts, characters, plots, or events: Use few words and brief examples to tell the meaning of that particular story. Make it a concise paragraph that can be easily understood. Abbreviate the spellings of what you state in your notes. Note page numbers, titles, and authors of books, if one needs to direct them again for a bibliography or another reason. Also, create a quiz as part of your note-making process while you read and use it afterwards for an assessment.
- Pen down your study goals: What do you want to get completed? What should you do to be able to become independent? These questions would urge you to become diligent in your study time. For example: If you have to read 100 pages this week, separate it by 20 pages a day – unnecessary reading could go in vain if not concentrated. One should keep in mind time constraints as well. Prioritise things accordingly for the day.
- Turn off your cell phone and other electronic devices: This will help you prevent temptations from being off-work and permit you to stay on your plan. Only use your computer if you need it for your studies-related activities; otherwise, it’s just an unimportant risk. As for your phone, please put it on airplane mode unless you need it for an emergency purpose. Moreover, websites and software blockers such as SelfControl, SelfRestraint and Think can keep a person away from the websites and software that are difficult to resist. Comprehend yourself and whether you need any social media platform to be blocked for the next hour or so, but one need not fret as it could display back on your screen after your work accomplished.