“A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination and instil a love of learning”
A teacher is one of the most significant pillar of any nation. Teachers lay the very foundation of a nation by preparing the future citizens of the country; instilling in them the moral values as well as the capabilities to help the nation shine on. They are true artists, for they work with the wet clay in the form of children, and mould them into good human beings, who would serve towards the betterment of the nation. Yes, a teacher is indeed an integral part of any society that aims to be successful for they play a pivotal role in creating a sound and a greatly enabled future generation. In India, since time immemorial, Guru, i.e. a teacher has been equated to the Supreme Being, and respected and idolized.
Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, who was one of the finest statesman and philosopher as well as the second president of India was also a zealous advocate of education with the belief that “teachers should be the best mind in the country.” Every year teachers are felicitated on the 5th of September, the birth date of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan. It is only right that a day is accorded every year to honour the selfless efforts of teachers.
Celebrate Teacher’s Day with a difference this year, with the personal touch of love and affection for your mentor. Here are a few unique ideas for you to make your teacher feel extra special.
Homemade Gifts of Appreciation
“The quality of gift depends on the sincerity of the giver”. It is more important that the gift be made or selected with love, for you can never put a price tag on the sincere and selfless efforts of a teacher.
- Take an empty jam or pickle bottle. Use Glass Paint and decorate the bottle. You can just write a message of appreciation too. Fill this bottle with soil and plant any fragrant herb. A gift that is alive speaks a million words. And this gift would be perfect for a person who gives meaning to your life.
- If your child is in Kindergarten and you are wondering what you can make the child do, think no further. Just make the child draw with a chalk on a small new slate, with a message for the teacher, and any caricature that the child can draw. It can be just a stick figure. It is the thought that counts and when the child gives this slate as a gift, it is sure to touch the teacher’s heart.
- A hand-made card wins the day and the heart any day. Use handmade paper and make a simple card and write your thoughts towards the teachers within.
- Teachers, especially the old world ones, sometimes do struggle to make ends meet. Observe you beloved teacher. And try and replace something that has run its life. It could be an umbrella or a bag, something that the teacher uses every day.
- A very personalised gift from an entire class to the class/subject teacher could be a plain ceramic plate on which the class writes a message together, with everyone putting a signature on it. Use a permanent marker n then bake it at 350° for 20 minutes; this renders the writing permanent. You have the option of gifting this as it is or you can also frame the plate in a nice wooden frame.
- You can either embroider or do patchwork on a silken piece of cloth with a simple message Thank You Sir/Ma’am.
- Another unique idea is to make a small hand dictionary with all the words and quotes that your teacher uses most often and gift it.
- A bamboo shoot for luck with the pot hand painted by the student also makes for a wonderful gift.
- You could also present the teacher with a song sung by you in class on the special day.
Online Teacher’s Day Gifts
In this day of information and technology, there is no harm in taking some help from the internet to felicitate your beloved teacher. The internet is full of sites with options of sending an online gift for your favourite teacher.
- You could send a bouquet of fresh flowers to your teacher. Book it a day prior and send it to her early in the morning of 5th September, with a note expressing your appreciation.
- Personalised coffee mugs with the picture of your teacher imprinted. If you have a picture with her/him, you could imprint that too with a lovely quote.
- Chocolates are evergreen. You can send a box of chocolates.
- Select a good quality pen from any of the sites and a trendy notebook and gift it to your teacher.
The choices online are innumerable. Be sure to select something that will seem personalised and reflects your appreciation for the teacher.
Teacher’s Day Celebrations
On Teacher’s Day, all the schools in India are open. Make sure you make the day extra special for your teacher. Here are a few ideas:
- Give your teachers a day off. Do a role reversal where you take the place of your teacher and take classes and lectures on her behalf while she relaxes in the Staff Room.
- Decorate the Staff Room. Put balloons and streamers on the walls. Organise a table laden with finger food and do not forget to order a cake.
- Each class can take turns in visiting the Staff Room, and sing a song or recite a poem for the teachers.
- Hold a special assembly for the teachers. In each act of yours in the assembly, you must show your appreciation for the teacher’s efforts.
Let’s recognise the true contributors towards the society. Teachers no doubt are the silent contributors, who remain in the background, year after year, managing the work-in-progress, and then contribute to the society, good and enabled citizens. Let’s take a moment to salute these silent contributors. Happy Teacher’s Day to all the teachers in India and abroad.
Information about Teachers Day
Ideas for Teacher’s Day Celebrations
Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Born on 5th September 1888
PM’s Speech on Teachers Day: Modi thanks all teachers
How to write a great Teacher’s Day Essay
Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Biography
Information about Children Day
86 total views, 3 views today