Chicken chilli is one of the most famous Indo-Chinese food items all over the country. This dish belongs to Hakka Chinese heritage. It is usually prepared with boneless chicken, but some people also use bone-in chicken for making chicken chilli.
It is sweet, spicy and slightly sour. Commonly, chicken chilli is served as starters. This delicious starter is usually served hot with Hakka noodles, Schezwan noodles, chicken noodles, chicken fried rice and veg fried rice.
Let’s take a look at the recipe for the delicious chicken chilli.
250 grams of cubed boneless or bone-in chicken
Two tablespoon soya sauce
1 ½ tablespoon pepper powder
Two tablespoon chilli sauce
One tablespoon of tomato sauce
2 – 3 tablespoons of cornflour
Two tablespoons of plain flour
Two beaten eggs
1 ½ – 2 tablespoon chili powder
½ cup water
One sliced green pepper
1sliced red pepper
1 ½ – 2 tablespoons salt
Four crushed garlic cloves
Two chopped green chillies
One tablespoon vinegar
½ tablespoon sugar
Two sliced onions
Two sliced spring onions
15 – 20 tablespoons oil ( for frying chicken )
- In a bowl, add 250 gm of boneless or bone-in chicken, one tablespoon salt, one tablespoon chilli sauce, one tablespoon soya sauce, one tablespoon pepper powder and give it a good mix.
- In the same bowl, add two tablespoons of cornflour, two tablespoons of plain flour, and one tablespoon of salt to get a crunchy texture of the chicken.
- Mix all the ingredients with two beaten eggs. Mix well to coat the chicken. If required, add 2-3 tablespoons of water. Do not use a lot of liquid in the process.
- In a pan, heat oil until hot enough. Shallow fry or deep fry the coated chicken pieces until they turn golden in colour. Remove the excess oil with the help of tissues.
- Now for the seasoning, prepare the sauce. Add one tablespoon soya sauce, one tablespoon chilli sauce, one tablespoon tomato sauce, one tablespoon vinegar, ½ tablespoon sugar, ½ chilli powder in a bowl, and give it a good mix with 2-3 tablespoons water. The sauce consistency should be thick and not too runny.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil on a medium flame in a frying pan for seasoning. Add four crushed garlic and fry it for a minute. Add chopped onions, spring onions, sliced red pepper, green pepper and one tablespoon of salt. Fry until they turn slightly tender but do not overcook them.
- Add the sauce and bring them to a boil.
- Now, add the fried chicken and toss them along with veggies and the sauce. Fry them for 4-5 minutes, and the chicken chilli is ready.
Serve chicken chilli hot as a starter and enjoy.