Upma, also called Uppumavu or Uppittu, is a delicious Indian breakfast dish originating from the Indian subcontinent. It is most commonly eaten in Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Maharashtrian, Gujarat, Odia and Sri Lankan Tamil breakfast.
Upma is cooked as a thick porridge from coarse rice flour, also called Semolina and Suji. You can add a lot of healthy seasonings and vegetables while cooking the Upma, but it depends on your preferences. Upma is considered the most nutritious, delicious food that can even help you to reduce weight.
Semolina is the best choice to eat for those who suffer from cardiac ailments and hyperlipidaemia. In addition, the zero cholesterol levels in it make it a great ingredient to include in the diet plan for patients who suffer from higher cholesterol.
Upma is an excellent source of all vitamins and minerals because it contains many vegetables and ingredients that make it a wholesome food. In addition, the zero cholesterol and zero presence of trans fatty acids and saturated fats make up super good food for all age groups.
It is rich in selenium which is an antioxidant that prevents the oxidation of DNA cells. Thus, it reduces the risk of various ailments and plays a vital role in boosting immunity.
Here’s a healthy recipe for Suji Upma:
- 1 cup Semolina/Sooji
- Horse Gram
- Finely diced Onions
- Finely chopped Capsicums
- Chopped Carrots
- Fresh Curry Leaves
- 2 ½ bowl Water
- Cashew Nuts
- Mustard Seeds
- Corns (As per your choice)
• Salt to taste
- Black Pepper
- Lime Juice
•Roast One cup of sooji in a pan on a medium flame without adding any oil. Keep roasting for 1-2 minutes until it turns a little bit golden brown.
- Turn off the flame and place the sooji aside.
- Now add three spoons of oil to a pan and add some mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Let the leaves and seeds get crispy and brown.
- Now add all the ingredients like peanuts, onions, capsicums, corn, cashew nuts, carrots and horse gram.
- Let it cook properly.
- Now add some salt, black pepper and pour over the roasted sooji in the vegetables.
- Add one cup of water to the Upma and stir it well.
- Keep going until the Upma turns thick.
- Now add one teaspoon of lime juice over the Upma.
Garnish some coriander leaves on the top of Upma and serve hot.