The spicy tomato chutney is seriously addictive and a perfect addition to any meal as it adds extra taste to the food. I must admit that this brilliant-colored chutney is really mouth-watering in which the taste of every ingredient is well-preserved. Spices add to the flavor and aroma and it tastes very similar to the red chutney served with dosa. You can serve it as a spicy dip with potato chips or with salad or anything you like. Also you can make a chappati roll by using this tomato chutney. For this, first stir fry the vegetables and add salt. Make very thin chapattis. Spread spicy tomato chutney on to the chappati. Create a layer of stir fried vegetables on the top, roll it and your chappatti roll is ready.
Ingredients for Spicy Tomato Chutney:
- Tomato – 5 kg
- Mustard oil – 250 g
- Garlic paste– 250 g
- Ginger paste – 250 g
- Green chilies – 250 g (cut into two halves lengthwise)
- Red chili powder – 1 spoon (depends upon your taste)
- Garam masala – 1 spoon
- Methi (Fenugreek) – 1 spoon
- Jeera (Cumin seeds) – 1 spoon
- Mustard seed – 1 spoon
- Powdered rayi – 250 g
- Vinegar – 250 g
- Curry or Kari patta (Curry leaves) – 8-10 stems with leaves
- Salt to taste
How to make Spicy Tomato Chutney
- Boil the tomatoes for a min or two. Drain off the water and keep the tomatoes under cool running water. This will help in removing the peel of the tomatoes. Now grind these to form a paste or if you like the pieces of tomatoes in chutney then cut the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Roast the cumin seeds on a hot tawa to make a powder (not very smooth)
- Heat the mustard oil in a heavy-base sauce pan.
- Add mustard seeds to it. Let these pop.
- Add garlic and ginger paste, rayi powder, red chillies, curry patta, and methi. Keep stirring regularly as it should not burn. Add green chilies.
- Once it leaves the oil add tomato paste to it.
- Let it thickened. Add cumin powder.
- Add garam masala, salt to taste and vinegar to it and keep frying till oil gets separated from chutney similar to a tadka.
- Remove from flame and let it cool at room temperature.
- Take a glass jar and transfer the spicy tomato chutney.
- Do not buy round tomatoes for making this chutney. Buy only red pulpy tomatoes.
- Glass jar should be completely dry. You can sterilize the jar by placing it under the sun or keep the jar in a pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes.
- Do not add water.
372 total views, 2 views today