Sleeping is one of our most essential needs, and getting adequate sleep is vital for having a healthy lifestyle. Every individual must maintain a proper sleep cycle according to their age to avoid any health issues and to be able to function properly.
Why is it important to maintain a sleep cycle?
It is essential to maintain a proper sleep cycle because it is the key to a healthier lifestyle. Having adequate sleep allows you to be energetic the entire day, keeps your hormones balanced, keeps your mood stable, and reduces the chances of developing any sleep disorder.
What are the risk factors of inadequate sleep?
- Poor concentration
- Possibility of developing physical and mental disorders, such as sleep apnea, weight gain, hypertension, depression, diabetes, etc.
- Poor performance in work or study
- Unstable mood- irritability, anger, low self-esteem
What are some reasons that cause destructed sleep cycle of an individual?
Most today’s modern era individuals do not maintain a proper sleep cycle, and the reasons behind it are different for everyone. The first reason why a destructed sleep cycle is normalised among this generation is the lack of understanding of its whole idea. Many people are unaware of the necessary knowledge related to a sleep cycle- including its benefits, its importance and the consequences of a poor sleep cycle.
Following are some reasons for destructed sleep cycle:
- Investing time on the phone or any other device (using social media, playing games, watching movies, etc.)
- Late dinner
- Leaving all the work/study to complete during the night
- Skipping dinner
- Night shift/ Night duty work
- Stress/Anxiety or any other mental disorder
- Medications (such as hypertension pills)
- Any physical health disorder
- Sleep apnea
What are the benefits of having a good sleeping cycle?
- Prevents from developing physical diseases
- Enhances mental well-being
- Boosts immunity
- It keeps you energetic and engaged
How can one maintain a proper sleep cycle?
It is effortless to maintain a proper cycle by being consistent with a few lifestyle habits. For example, choosing the right dinner time, which is at least two hours before bedtime. There is a variety of food and drinks which can help you have a good sleep, including:
- Almonds- Almonds are known for their numerous health benefits. Almonds are rich in magnesium. It helps in reducing cortisol levels, which is a stress hormone for better sleep. Almonds also consist of melatonin, a hormone responsible for our sleep.
- Kiwi – Kiwi fruits are enriched with melatonin, magnesium-like compounds, which are beneficial for good sleep.
- Chamomile Tea – Chamomile tea is a herbal tea very much beneficial in promoting good sleep. It contains the antioxidant apigenin, which is ideal for treating insomnia.
- Walnuts- Walnuts are another type of nut that is enriched with many health benefits. It contains fatty acids that contribute to good sleep.
- Poultry (Chicken) – Chicken consists of tryptophan, an amino acid, and promotes the production of melatonin and serotonin. They both are essential in promoting good sleep.
- Fish- Fish such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel, rich in Omega 3 and Vitamin-D. This combination of Omega 3 and Vitamin D improves the sleep quality of an individual.
- White rice – White rice is a grain commonly chosen by many people for their meals. White rice contains the glycemic index, which improves the quality of sleep.
Every individual must sleep at least 7 to 8 hours a day and 10 hours for young children. Oversleeping can also cause physical and mental issues. Individuals must be consistent with their sleep cycle practice as much as possible, which will eventually become a habit after some time.