Akshaya Tritiya is on the way? Aren’t we all excited! Especially the women folk out there. All we will see around is the jewellery shops overflowing with ladies, busy purchasing yellow, white and all other forms of gold. To our surprise, we would like to tell you that Akshaya stands for ‘immortal’ and Tritiya stands for the ‘third lunar day’. So this implies that whatever you do on this auspicious day will grow with time and can’t be destroyed. So, if you are planning to undertake huge investment, and getting ready to spend your savings on a new house, or wishing to begin a company, or website, it is highly recommended to fix your dealings on this day. As per Jainism and Hinduism, ‘akha teej’ – the other name of Akshaya tritiya, is a sacred day. As per various legends, this day is marked as one of the most blessed days of the year.
King Dharmraj, during the Mahabharata days, pleased the Sun God with his devotion and simplicity. As a result of this, the Sun God gave him a never-diminishing pot on this day. It was the same pot used by the Pandavas during their exile. It has been mentioned in the epics that Lord Krishna gave the akshaya patra to Draupadi as well as to his friend Sudama on akshaya tritiya. Because of this, the day is also associated with materialistic gain and wealth.
On akshaya tritiya, Lord Parasurama, the sixth incarnation of Lord Vishnu was born. Lord Vishnu is the ruler of akshaya tritiya. So people pray to different forms of Lord Vishnu on this day. Also, it is a ritual at some places to offer til tarpan (sesame and water) to the deities and ancestors.
What is more, according to Hinduism, it is the same day on which Lord Ganesha and Veda Vyas started writing Mahabharata.
Legend also has it that Kubera worshiped Lord Shiva and, in return, got wealth on the same day.
On akshaya tritiya , Sudama, a childhood friend of Lord Krishna, went to greet him. He was very poor but when he came back, his hut was changed into a palace.
Some people of the Jain community keep a year-long fast, and they end their fast on akshaya tritiya . They do so by taking a sip of sugarcane juice. Akshaya tritiya is the same day on which the first ahar charya – a way to cook and serve food to Jain Monks – was established.
Good Luck Day
- Considered an auspicious day, akshaya tritiya is believed to bring good luck. Starting new ventures, buying gold is also associated with akshaya tritiya .
- Hindus believe a lot in mahurats but all the unplanned weddings can take place on this day as it is considered auspicious.
- It is believed that if you start any work on this day, it will never end and keep on growing.
- Jat farmers consider this a very important day too. Early morning ceremonial ploughing is done by a male member of the Jat family.
- All animals and birds that farmers meet on the way are considered to bring good luck in the form of rain and good harvest.
- At some places in India, trees are also grown on akshaya tritiya.
- People are chritable on this day and seek the blessings of God.
- Halkhata is also performed on akshaya tritiya by the Bengali community.
- On akshaya tritiya , the production of chariots for rath yatra also begins at Puri.
- Many devotees take a dip in the holy river Ganga on this day.
What is given as charity on Akshaya Tritiya?
Generally rice, ghee, fruits, clothes, tamarind, vegetables, and salt are given as charity.
What is eaten on Akshaya Tritiya?
Generally rice and moong dal kichchdi
Related Link: Buying Gold on Akshaya Tritiya