When two big names like Valve, a gaming company and HTC, a smartphone manufacturer team up to venture into the virtual world, there has to be something about it. Games are one of the most comfortable and usual choices for virtual experience.
Together They Will Make it Big
HTC Vive, a virtual reality headset has been launched, which combines HTC’s hardware design and Valve’s Steam VR virtual reality platform. The Steam store will act as a prominent source for games and software for Vive. It is a fully functional VR headset. For the time being only the developer edition will be available while consumer versions are expected by the end of 2015.
Introducing New Technology
VR Input System – ‘Lighthouse’: Keeping in mind the necessary requirement of high quality VR experience, a high-resolution and high-speed room scale tracking system codenamed Lighthouse has been introduced. It can be integrated into TVs, monitors, headsets or mobile devices. It will be made available to any hardware manufacturer free of cost. Lighthouse consists of two devices that can be positioned in the room to track user movement. It will enhance the virtual reality experience.
- A pair of 1200 x 1080 displays which can handle videos at 90 frames/second (eliminating the jitter)
- A gyrosensor, accelerometer, and laser position sensor for tracking the rotation of your head
- A motion-tracking base station that can track your movement in a room as large as 15-feet by 15-feet
- An Ergonomic custom game controller in each hand to get the best VR experience
- 360 degree field of vision
- A headphone jack to plug in your favorite earplugs or headphones
- Two sensors to be put up on the wall at 90-degree angle
Dovertail Games, Fireproof Games, and Cloudhead Games are already on board to make content for the device. But games will not be the only things that Vive has to offer. Together Valve and HTC are trying to redefine way of your life. It is trying to incorporate traveling, shopping, cooking, talking to friends and so much more. HTC is associating with major content providers such as HBO, Lionsgate and Google for other virtual reality content e.g. movies.
Vive wishes to take you to a different world. Strap on the box like headset and you will be bodily moved to the virtual world. The sensors tracking each movement of yours make you even more comfortable. You can lean, stand, lie down, and tilt your head and so on. This, along with the hand controllers makes your experience an incredible one. Now you can use more space to enjoy the VR experience. That’s greatest strength of HTC Vive.