Location:Chandni Chowk, New Delhi
Having been the golden sparrow in ancient times, India was often invaded by a number of rulers. History has a huge account of the atrocity of these rulers who not only plundered the wealth of the country but also led to a massive loss of blood. The outrage of one such ruler is recorded in a small mosque in Delhi. Built by a noble Mughal called Roshan-ud Daula Zafar Khan, the mosque resides in the Chandni Chowk area and is popularly known as the Sunehri Masjid.
The construction of the mosque dates back to the year 1722. As history speaks, an atrocious Persian invader Nadir Shah, stood at the top of this mosque to observe the Katl-e-Aam of thousands of inhabitants. The dreadful massacre, which continued for several hours, resulted in the death of 30,000 locals of that area. In contrary to the massive structure of the other monuments in Delhi, the Sunehri Masjid is overshadowed by its surrounding buildings and is barely visible amidst the hustle-bustle of Chandni Chowk.
Standing on a 2.1 meter high platform, the mosque is decorated with green colored floral patterns. The three main domes of the mosque have been gilded with copper with a golden look, that popularizes this mosque with the name of “Sunehri Masjid”. The mosque was last renovated by Bahadur Shah Zafar II in the year 1852. A courtyard was built to accommodate the congregation. Having played a significant role in the history of Delhi, this mosque holds a right to be known and visited!
Important: Not to be confused with the Sunehri Masjid near Red Fort.