Map of Top Ten Arts Colleges in India
*The Map showing the locations of Top ten Arts Colleges in India.
Arts is collectively a stream or a discipline in education that is intended to provide general knowledge and intellectual skills (rather than occupational or professional skills). After clearing higher secondary examination, a student can opt for Bachelor of Arts (BA) by taking a specialisation in any subject. Some of the important subjects in the field of arts offered by several colleges are literature, languages, law, history, performing arts, religion, philosophy, psychology, sociology and many more. After completing graduation, students can opt for Master of Arts (MA) in their chosen subjects. For further higher studies, they can also go for Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in their respective subjects. Students can also take up the following careers after studying arts - economist, historian, sociologist, teacher/professor, journalist/writer/editor, translator, artist, philosopher, psychologist and many more.
Top Ten College of Arts
|Rank||Name of the College||Address||Phone No||College Website|
|1||Lady Shriram College for Women (LSR)||Lajpat Nagar-IV, Delhi||011-26434459||http://lsr.edu.in/|
|2||Loyola College||Sterling Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai||044-2817 8490||http://loyolacollege.edu/|
|3||St. Stephen's College||University of Delhi, North Campus, Delhi||011-27667271||http://ststephens.edu/|
|4||St. Xavier's College||5, Mahapalika Marg, Mumbai||022-22620661||http://xaviers.edu/main/|
|5||Miranda House||University of Delhi, Delhi||011-27666983||http://mirandahouse.ac.in/MirandaHouse/|
|6||Christ College||Hosur Road, Bangalore||080-40129100/ 40129600||http://christuniversity.in|
|7||Madras Christian College(MCC)||Velachery Main Road, East Tambaram, Chennai||044-22390675||http://mcc.edu.in/|
|8||Hindu College||University of Delhi, University Enclave, Delhi||011-27667184||http://hinducollege.org/|
|9||Fergusson College||F.C. Road, Pune||020-66866000||http://fergusson.edu/|
|10||Stella Maris College||17, Cathedral Road, Chokkalingam Nagar, Teynampet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600086||044 2811 1951||www.stellamariscollege.org/|
There are many colleges in the country that offer courses in arts. Out of all these colleges, there are a few colleges that are known for offering quality education in the field of arts. Let's have a look at the top 10 arts colleges in India.
Last Updated on : January 19, 2016
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women (LSR): The University of Delhi (DU) has always been considered as one of the top most universities of the country. LSR, a college of DU, has been ranked as the best arts college in the country by a survey conducted by India Today. It is a premier institute of higher learning for women. The college offers courses in social science, humanities and commerce and a few programmes in B.SC as well.
- Loyola College: The college under the University of Madras, Loyola is an autonomous Jesuit institution. Known for its academic excellence, it is one of the few colleges in the country that are known for their degree programmes in arts, commerce and social science. It is also recognised as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research. The college is also given the title of "College of Excellence" by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
- St. Stephen's College: Delhi University's St. Stephens College is a Christian constituent college that offers courses at both undergraduate and post-graduate levels. The college is situated in the North Campus of DU and is designed by Walter Sykes George, a well-known Welsh architect. Ranked as the third most popular arts college in the country, it is also known for its students' clubs and societies that are helpful in the holistic development of the students and the college.
- St. Xavier's College: It is one of the most reputed liberal arts colleges in India and has been awarded a five-star rating in the re-accreditation by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). The Mumbai-based college offers both undergraduate and post-graduate courses in science, commerce and arts. In 2006, it was rated as the best college for arts in the country.
- Miranda House: The college belongs to DU and is situated in the North Campus of the university. It was established in 1948 and it offers courses in both science and arts. The college has a hostel that is one of the oldest residential buildings in the university. The college is known for its academic excellence and education.
- Christ University: It is a deemed university in Bengaluru that got the status of deemed university in 2008. Established in 1969, it is ranked among the best universities to offer courses in science, arts and commerce. It is also the first university in the state of Karnataka to get accreditation from NAAC. It is also recognised for its academic excellence. The university is famous among the foreign students and the enrollment rate of students is increasing here with each passing year.
- Madras Christian College (MCC): A liberal arts and science college, MCC is one of the oldest colleges in Asia. Although the college is affiliated to the University of Madras, it functions as an autonomous institution from its campus in Tambaram, Chennai. The campus of the college is known for the diversity of flora and fauna and notably rare trees. Former President S. Radhakrishnan was an alumnus of the college.
- Hindu College: Another college from the University of Delhi is a part of the list of the top colleges. Hindu College, established in 1899, was earlier affiliated to the Punjab University as the DU was not founded at that time. The college was also a centre of intellectual debate during the freedom struggle of the country. The college is known for its academic performance and has a list of notable alumni added to it. Subramanian Swamy of the BJP, writer Anil Shorey, actor Manoj Kumar and Editor-in-Chief of Times Now Arnab Goswami are some of the alumni of the college.
- Fergusson College: Situated in Pune and established in 1885, Fergusson was the first privately governed college in the country. The college has two sections, a Junior Wing, which is for the students graduating from school, and the Senior Wing, which offers undergraduate and post-graduate courses. The college is also popular for its associations with Indian politics as the founders of this college belonged to the Indian National Congress, Hindu Nationalism and the Indian Socialist Movement.
- Stella Maris College: It is a catholic institution for women for higher education and is located in Chennai. The college is a minority institute and provides university-level education in a Christian atmosphere. It offers both undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The college is also an active participant in conservation and environmental initiatives.