The recipes of Jharkhand are truly exquisite and they are poised with a distinct style of cooking which makes them that extra special. They chiefly utilize sumptuous proportions of mustard oil as the medium using which they cook their food. The most known and common recipes in Jharkhand that are practically prepared in every household includes Phulka or Roti, Bhat or Rice, Tarkari or Sabzi and last but definitely not the least, Achar or Pickle.
The most revered and cherished recipes in Jharkhand are mentioned below:-
Jharkhand cuisine holds the testimony of the culture of the state. Jharkhand is prevalent with religious-minded people, the majority being the followers of Buddhism. So vegetarian dishes dominate the culinary art in Jharkhand, Sattu being the staple ingredient of the foods. Bihari Litti is one of the famous foods in Jharkhand. Bihari Litti is usually eaten with Youghurt, Baigan Bharta, Alu bharta, and Papad.
The ingredients required for preparion of Bihari Litti are:
- Four scoops of wheat flour
- One cup sattu ( made by grinding black chana)
- One fourth spoon of kalonji
- One lemon or four spoons of lemon juice
- Three cloves of garlic
- Three to four green chillies
- Ten pieces of whole black pepper or half spoon of ground pepper
- One onion.
People of Jharkhand has a fascination for varieties of desserts. They prepare desserts like gajar ka halwa, gujia, kheer, curd and many such things. But the chart is topped by Mitha Khaja.
The ingredients for Mitha Khaja are:
- One and a half cup of plain flour(Maida).
- Half cup of Jaggery
- One table spoon of Ghee
- Ghee to deep fry
- One fourth of table spoon of Cardamom powder
- One cup of water.
Til Barfi is one of those yummy desserts that is exclusively prepared during the time of Makar Sankranti. The state of Jharkhand as well as Maharashtra take great pride in Til Barfi as one of its most scrumptious and nutritive delicacies. Til Barfi in Jharkhand, is also prepared during other occasions as well. One thing is for sure, after getting a taste of this mind-boggling delicacy called Til Barfi of Jharkhand, you will be left with a desire to have more.
The major ingredients required to prepare this dessert are as follow:-
- 1 cup: Groundnuts (peanuts)
- 3 cups: Sesame Seed
- 1/2 cup: Grated dry coconut (Copra)
- 2 1/2 cup: Sugar
Pittha is a delicious dish almost all over India. The neighboring states of Jharkhand, namely West Bengal and Orissa also relishes this delicacy. But pitthas of Jharkhand have a charm of their own and the side dishes to pitthas prepared in Jharkhand enriches the taste of pitthas all the more. The ingredients required for preparing pitthas are:
- One and a half cup of Chana Dal
- Four table spoon of fresh Chopped garlic.
- Two table spoon of garam masala powder.
- One and a half cup of flour.
- Two table spoon of fresh chopped ginger.
- One table spoon of turmeric powder.
- Half table spoon of Hing.
- Two to four dry, red chilli
- Salt to taste.
Last Updated on : 25th March 2013