Earlier called Cannanore, it is the 6th biggest city of this state of southern India. Because of being the location of many functioning loom industries as well as the temples that reflects the folk art and traditional culture, this place is even known as the 'Land of looms and lores'.
Best Time to visit
October to June
Places to see in and around Kannur
- Arakkal Museum- Situated in Ayikkara this museum is a part of the Arakkal Palace.
- Azhikkal Ferry- It is the meeting point of the river Valapattanam and the Arabian Sea.
- Baby Beach- This Kannur beach is called so owing to the fact that it is located by the side of the big Payyambalam Beach.
- Cannanore Lighthouse- Situated at a nearby location of the renowned Sea View Park this is one of the places of tourist interest.
- Indian Naval Academy- It is the biggest naval academy in Asia.
- Kottiyor Mahadeva Kshetram- Even called Dakshina Kashi this is a temple which is known for power and natural beauty.
- Meenkunnu Beach- Located at Azhikode this beach is a few kilometers away from this place.
- Mopla Bay- This is a popular fishing harbor that is situated near the St. Angelo Fort.
- Payyambalam Beach- This famous sea beach in Kannur has got an unbroken coastline stretching for a few kilometers and a 'Mother and Child' sculpture.
- Sea View Park- This park near the Payyambalam Beach offers a magnificent sunset view.
- St. Angelo Fort- It was constructed in the year 1505 by Dom Francisco de Almeida who was the 1st Indian Portuguese Viceroy.
- Vismaya Amusement Park- Covering an area of around 120000 sq m this amusement park has got the capacity of entertaining about 3000 to 3500 visitors at one time.
- Aralam Wildlife Sanctuary
- Dharmadam Island
- Hanging Bridge
- Kizhunna Ezhara Beach
- Muzhappilangad Beach
- Parassinikadavu Sree Muthappan
- Snake Park
- Thottada Beach
Kozhikode Airport is located at a distance of 125 km from Kannur
Nearest Railway Station
Kannur Railway Station
Shopping is something, which will make your trip to this city complete. Though Kannur has not got many market areas but the ones present there are worth exploring, especially for the shop lovers. The best things to buy from this place are the local handicrafts or the small knick-knacks that one can keep as a souvenir of this place. Fort Road is considered to be the busiest shopping place in the city. Apart from this, one can even shop from the shopping outlets such as Fortlight Complex, Super Bazaar and Kannur City Center, which is the biggest shopping mall in this city of Kerala.
Last Updated on : October 15, 2013