Nestled within the Nilgiri Hills and the Lakshadweep Sea, Malappuram, the district cum city of this state of south India, attracts tourists for its backwaters, small hills, lush forests, palm fringed seacoast as well as a notable collection of wildlife.
Best Time to visit
August to November
Places to see in and around Mallapuram
- Anakkadavu Bridge- It offers a scenic view of the river Kadalundi.
- Doordarshan Relay Station.
- Kodungallur Temple- It is one of the three significant Bhagavati temples in the state.
- Kottakkal Arya Vaidyasala- It is one of the world famous Ayurveda center.
- Kottakkunnu- Even called Malappuram's Marine Drive this hill garden comprises of Lalitha Kala Academy Art Gallery and an auditorium (Open air). Tourists come here to visit a water-theme park and a D. T. P. C. helipad.
- Malappuram Juma Masjid- It is among the state's oldest mosques.
- Melmuri- In spite of being a residential area
- this place is famous for being the location of Grand Masjid.
- Nava Mukunda Temple- This is a Vishnu temple that is constructed towards the right side of Bharathapuzha by the Nava Yogis.
- Nilambur- Known for teak plantation this place has got the world's most ancient teak plantation in a plot named Conollys which is around 2 km away from the town.
- Pazhayangadi Mosque- Situated at Kondotty this 18th Century mosque reflects the Mughal architectural style of that period.
- Pookkottyr- It is a place of historical importance and is associated with the famous Malabar rebellion.
- Shanthitheeram- Though it is still under construction but this walk park along the side of the Kadalundi River is supposed to have an amphitheater and a food court besides various pavilions.
- Teak Museum- Located near the Gudallur this is the 1st teak museum in the world as well as a sub-center of the state's Forest Research Institute.
- Thirumandham Kunnu Temple- This temple is famous for being the location of the renowned temple festival ?Thirumandham Kunnu Pooram?.
- Garuda Temple
- Kadampuzha Bhagavathi Temple
- Keraladeeshapuram Temple
- Padinjarekkara Beach
- Poonami Port
- Sastha Temple
- Thunchan Smarakam Memorial
Karipur International Airport is situated at a nearby distance of about 25 km from the heart of the city of Malappuram.
Nearest Railway Station
Kozhikode railway station is the nearest major railway station.
This city of Kerala is not a very famous place among shop lovers since; it has got very little option for shopping. However, the local shops in the city's markets offer different kinds of the state's handicrafts as well as varied other knick knacks, which one can buy as a memento of this city. Apart from the local shops, this Keralian city has got some modern shopping malls as well. To name a few of the shopping areas in this south Indian city are: Asian Hypermarket,Dharurahma Shopping Complex,Kiliyamannil Plaza,Sadu Shopping Complex
Last Updated on : October 16, 2013