Madurai is connected with some of the major stations of India like Chennai, Howrah and Mumbai. Trains from the northern and eastern part of the country halt at Madurai on their journey to Kanyakumari and other southern cities. Indian Railways also operate direct trains to Madurai from Chennai, Jammu Tawai, Kurla, Nizamuddin and Pothanur.
The trains from Chennai are known as Vaigai Express and Pandiyan Express, which operate daily. The train from Pothanur also runs on a daily basis while the Jammu-Tawai Express runs on thursdays and Sundays. The Kurla- Madurai Express runs on Saturdays and the Nizamuddin- Madurai Express operates on Thursdays and Sundays.
Besides these trains, a host of other trains halt at Madurai Station. These are:
- Chennai - Tuticorin Express
- Chennai - Tirunelveli Express
- Chennai - Kanniyakumari Express
- Chennai - Trivandrum Express
- Chennai – Nagarcoil Express
- Chennai – Guruvayur Express
- Mysore - Tuticorin Express
- Mumbai – Nagercoil Express
- Nizamuddin – Kanniyakumari Express
- Howrah – Kanyakumari Express
Last Updated on 9/15/2011