On 10th August, 1945, The Shillong Times appeared in Meghalaya in the form of a weekly. Since its genesis, The Shillong Times has been relentlessly working towards the cause of Meghalaya.
Until 15th August 1991, The Shillong Times at Meghalaya followed old techniques of printing; but from this day onwards The Shillong Times switched over to computer typesetting. The change was adopted by the authorities of the newspaper, so that they could meet up the challenges of the changing world. With the introduction of IT in Meghalaya, the swapping of the mechanical devices became mandatory. The erstwhile market of Meghalaya demanded fast paced output and these automated machines provided greater pace, along with a better result.
It is noteworthy that on 15th August 1991, The Shillong Times emerged as a broadsheet daily. Further, on 9th November 1992 the newspaper launched its Garo Hills. Lately, the residents of the Garo Hills were exempted from the morning newspapers, but with the introduction of the Garo Edition of The Shillong Times, the problem of the readers of Tura was solved.
Last Updated on 11 March 2013