Alappuzha History




Alappuzha history is both rich and diverse. The city was developed by all means during the reign of Dharmaraja. Raja Kesava Das who was the Diwan of Travancore at that time contributed immensely for the development of the city. He took various steps to establish Alappuzha as a leading port town of Travancore. So he is called the ‘Maker of modern Alleppey’.

The history of Alappuzha is resplendent and glorious. To improve the means of communications in the city, Raja Kesava Das built many roads and canals. To flourish business and economy in the city he provided all types of facilities to merchants and traders.

Velu Thampi Dalava is another person who played a vital role in the progress of the city. During the rule of Balaramavarma Maharaja, he took keen interest in the growth of the town as a major port. He introduced coconut cultivation in the entire area of the island Pathiramanal and the large tracts were used for paddy cultivation.

During the 19th century there was an overall development in Alappuzha. Business, economy, infrastructure, economy,judiciary system was all strengthened during this period. In 1859 the first factory for the production of coir mats and mattings was set up at Alappuzha. The town Improvement Committee was established in 1894.



Last Updated on 05 May 2011