Jalandhar Cantonment, established in 1848, is among the oldest cantonments of India. Jalandhar Cantonment was founded after the first Anglo-Sikh War, for the maintenance of peace and order in Jalandhar and its adjoining area but the cantonment has transformed tremendously after the independence of India.
Jalandhar Garrison is housed in the Jalandhar cantonment. The Jalandhar Garrison was raised in 1865 by Colonel J N Bishop. The Garrison was redesigned under Major General JAH Pollock in 1904. After 1904, Jalandhar cantonment came to be known as Jalandhar Brigade. Brigadier General REH Dyer commanded Jalandhar Brigade from 1917 to 1919. The first Indian commander of the Jalandhar Brigade was Brigadier Lakwinder Singh.
Jalandhar cantonment is spread over 1521 hectares of land. The cantonment houses two government hospitals. The Cantonment General Hospital and the Military Hospital, situated in the Jalandhar cantonment, are among the most popular hospitals of Jalandhar.
It is interesting to note that the Jalandhar cantonment also houses one Army School and three Kendriya Vidyalayas. We also come across one Senior Secondary School, one Girls College and four other schools and colleges in the cantonment. A number of private schools are also housed with the premises of the cantonment. Apart from the schools and colleges, Jalandhar cantonment also houses a Military Dairy farm, Jalandhar Club, Flying Clubs, Golf Courses and Cantonment Bazaar.
Last Updated on 17th Dec 2012