A Permanent Account Number or PAN Card is a nationalized identity card. Without a PAN, one will not be able to perform any financial transaction. The Indian Income Tax Department provides this 10-digit alphanumeric and unique account number to a tax-paying person, company or HUF. It has lifetime validity.
One can apply it online, and one can also make recommendations/ suggestions for changes or corrections in PAN data digitally. The online process is hassle-free to acquire PAN.
An online application of PAN can be made on the NSDL website or UTIITSL website. The government of India has permitted both to issue the PAN.
The applicant must fill and submit the online application form besides digital payment of the respective processing fee. Further, copies of required documents must be sent by post to either NSDL or UTIITSL for verification activity.
Following are the steps to apply online for PAN:
1) Submit the PAN card application Form 49A mentioned on the NSDL Website: https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/
2) Complete the form. Read the instructions available there before furnishing the details in the form
3) The charges for applying for PAN is Rs. 93 (excluding GST) for Indian communication address and Rs. 864 (excluding GST) for foreign communication address. Applicant can send the fee through different modes such as credit/debit card, demand draft or net banking. On successful transactions, an acknowledgement will be sent as a notification. Now, save this acknowledgement number.
4) Once the application and payment are made successfully, the applicant must send the supporting documents through courier/post to NSDL. Post the receipt of the documents, and NSDL would process the PAN application. Records consist of one proof of identity, one proof of address and one proof of birth date.
Following are the steps to make changes/corrections in PAN data:
1) Fill the online application form for any changes/corrections in PAN on the NSDL website. https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html
Read instructions properly while filling the form. https://www.tin-nsdl.com/services/pan/instructions-change.html
2) The charges for making changes in PAN is also Rs. 93 (excluding GST) for Indian communication address and Rs. 864 (excluding GST) for foreign communication address. The applicant can pay the application fee through credit/debit card, demand draft or net banking. A successful transaction will display an acknowledgement. Then save and print the acknowledgement number
3) Once the application and payment are accepted, the applicant must send the supporting documents through courier/post to NSDL. Post the receipt of the documents, and NSDL would process the PAN application. Documents sent should support the changes applied for in PAN. For example request for the change in the applicant’s or father’s name will have to be backed with a document that will prove a change of name from old to new.
The documents that shall be submitted as proof in this case:
a) For married ladies, change of name on account of marriage: marriage invitation card, marriage certificate, publication of ‘name-change in the gazette, a certificate from a gazetted officer stating name change, copy of passport showing husband’s name.
b) For individual applicants except for married ladies, publication of ‘name-change in the gazette, a certificate from a gazetted officer mentioning name change.
c) For companies’ ROC’s (Registrar of Companies), a name change certificate is needed. ROC manages administration and regulation of Companies Act, 1956.
d) For partnership firms, a copy of the revised Partnership Deed.
e) For other categories: registered organizations (AOP/Trust/BOI/AJP etc.), the updated registration/deed/agreement.