India is the world’s second-largest English-speaking country. Learning the English language has become necessary in the globalised world. It is used in our day-to-day lives and improves the communication process between two individuals or more.
Learning any language could take months, if not years, but if one keeps at it and usually practices, he/she will figure out the best ways to learn English.
According to science, the following are the two best ways to learn English:
Learn English by Immersion method
This method takes a dive into English, which helps one speak and comprehend English like a native speaker. Studying English for an hour a day could give a good result, but speaking like a native speaker would require more.
The immersion approach is an effective way to learn English like a native. We speak properly in our mother tongue because we pick up the language letter-by-letter as babies listen to others. One needs to raise English exposure to gradually begin to even think in English and translate from the native language.
Following steps should be taken before learning English:
- Change all your social media account languages to English and change your browser settings, leading to an automatic change on websites if someone visits there.
- Watch English movies and TV shows irrespective of any comprehension issue.
- One can switch on subtitles as it will also raise your English-reading speed.
- Listen to the news or radio in English.
- Have a conversation partner, speak in English to your family members and friends as much as possible as it is one of the best ways to learn English.
- Join groups on social media or offline where numerous people share interests who speak in English. These groups enable more conversations in English.
The Classroom Method is opposite to the immersion method. This method is primarily for beginners, and one can learn English like a scholar rather than like a native. Here, one learns all the grammar and vocabulary and sentence structuring rules first and moves towards building English knowledge. According to science, learning a language is a complex process that reschedules your brain. One can develop understanding gradually post learning the foundation rules of a language. The Classroom setup could be offline or online.
- Sign-up for an English class.
- Find an English speaker (preferably someone who speaks native English) to tutor you.
- Find websites and applications that will assess your English language skills with quizzes and exercises.
- Study English regularly, and proper practice is vital to learn a new language.
- Revise what you learned before every day or during a period.
While one should not be afraid to make mistakes while learning, an English language aspirant always has an option to learn from DVD players, books, meeting new people, dictionaries (to improve vocabulary), writing a journal or an online blog, and maintaining four core skills: reading, writing, speaking and listening.