Most regional cuisines in India give both special and day to day recipes. Today I was in mood of something simple and yet tasty, so I chose the all time favorite potatoes for my dish. In this dish I bring to you the Bengali cuisine once more with Aaloo Poshto. This dish as the later part of the name suggests is made with posta dana or poppy seeds which give a great flavor to a regular dish. Poppy seeds are good source of calcium, magnesium and other vitamins and balance out the dish very well. Although you can vary the spices, I loved the chili variety and it went well with my lunch today with home made luchi or roti’s. Its pretty simple to make it at home and it can even go well when you have an extended family or friends for a meal. This is just something different and yet so simple, go ahead and give it a try with this Aaloo Poshto Recipe.
All you need is (serves 4)
- Potatoes – medium sized 6 (peeled and chopped)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Poppy seeds – 3 tbsp
- Kalonji – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilies – 2 to 3
- Green chili – 2 to 3 (slit in halves)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
Aaloo Poshto Recipe
Preparation time: 15 min.
Cooking time: 15 min.
- Mix poppy seeds with little water and ground them into a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add kalonji, dry red chilies and green chilies and fry for a few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, potatoes and poppy seed paste and cook for few seconds.
- Add 1 cup water, cover and cook till potatoes are done and water evaporates.
- Serve hot.
While making the paste of poppy seeds, add little water at a time (about 1 tsp) and check for consistency.