This dish was invented on April 16/ 2013 and ever since it has been an all time favorite to family and friends who visit office. Known fondly as Compare Ki Aloo Chaat, this has evolved all taste no guilt alternative to Delhi’s famed – Dilli Ki Aloo Chaat which is all taste, all guilt.
The trick is boiling potatoes yet frying them to get the taste home.
Desi dish, videshi tadka. Take the ingredients required to make aloo chaat and challenge yourself to make a “Spanish Salad” out of them. This is what we tried and succeeded in doing; a second successful attempt at innovating an Indian dish to suit the universal palate.
- 6 low starch potatoes
- 2 red onions
- 2 spring onions
- 4 heirloom tomatoes
- 2 long green chilies
- 6 long stems (a small bunch) of fresh coriander leaves
- Olive oil for shallow cooking
- Extra Virgin olive oil for dressing
- White vinegar
- Salt to taste
How to make Aloo Chaat Salad Recipe- Spanish Style
- Boil the potatoes, just short of being done. Allow them to cool.
- Peel potatoes and cut them into firm pieces as shown in this image.
- Toss them till they are golden brown by turning them over carefully several times and not allowing them to get overcooked.
- Transfer them to a bowl.
- Lightly toss red onions in olive oil and transfer them to the bowl which has the potatoes.
- Add rest of the ingredients to the potatoes.
- Make a mixture of white vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. One part vinegar, two parts oil. Add this mixture to the potatoes, according to your taste.
- Mix well, but with finesse.
- Add salt to taste.
You are all set. Yes, you are all set, but without black pepper and masalas added. Enjoy!