Beetroot is grown through out the world and in India it is known as chukandar and is rich in nutrients and antioxidants. It is a wonderful vegetable with various known benefits as it helps build stamina, reduce blood pressure and improve blood flow. The vegetable is used pretty much throughout India in dry and curry form. This is a slight innovation over the vegetable form by grinding and mixing the beet root with regular flour (atta) which can be used to make beet root roti or paratha. One of the classic benefits this gives is that children who are not so fond of curry vegetables can be easily given a good dose of the vegetable in their regular or school meal. It also makes the paratha appeal to the eyes with its red color and it tastes awesome with any regular curry, butter and achaar. Go ahead and try this easy and appealing recipe to increase your and your kids vegetable intake and make your meal more balanced.
Ingredients needed for Beet Root Paratha
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
- Beet root – 1
- Salt to taste
- Green chili – 1 (very finely chopped)
- Fresh coriander – 1 tsp (chopped)
- Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
- Oil for frying
How to make Beet Root Paratha
- Wash and peel the beet root.
- Grate it.
- Add whole wheat flour, grated beet root, salt, green chili, coriander and garam masala in a bowl.
- Using little water, knead a soft dough.
- Make small lemon-sized balls from the dough.
- Dust the balls with dry flour and roll to make a flat 6-inch disc.
- Cook on a tava from both the sides till brown spots appear.
- Apply little oil on both the sides while cooking.
- Serve hot with pickle and butter.